Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Get my SPECS tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I got to go and get my glasses tomorrow :(, I have had problems with my eyes for nearly 18months but didnt say anything to anyone. Then a few weeks ago I got the AOE 3rd as a present and couldnt read it no matter how hard I tried, my mum caught me reading it with a dissecting microscope!
She was not pleased! So I got carted off to the opticians and told I have UVA damage to one eye and I am very short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other, other I have weak eye muscles.

So they have got a prescription for me and I have chosen the most nerdy looking frames I could find lol. I expect I will get the wee taken at school but thats nothing new, I have always been a bit 'odd' compared to most kids so it dosnt bother me. I might post a pic when I am feeling brave :p, at least I will be able to read again!

LG best thing , good show mum , I've been wearing glasses for 68 years , must have spent a small fortune , currently cost about 340 GBP ( lord knows why ) every 2 years . Perhaps this is one of spec EE types , bad eyesight...

I wore specs for most of my working life, but since retirement my eyesight has actually improved to the point where I no longer need them. Strange.

I wore specs for most of my working life, but since retirement my eyesight has actually improved to the point where I no longer need them. Strange.
I'd get that checked out!!!

My father in law had the same phenomenon... It was the early onset of cataracts!! The deformation of the eye gave him better eyesight!!

Started wearing glasses late thirties, by 50 couldn't see (read) a thing without them. Had a lens replacement about 3 years ago - they remove your natural lens and replace it with a diffraction grating lens. So far, can see fine. Got a sneaky suspicion it may deteriorate again. Time will tell.

Mike.

Well I now officially look like a nerd :D! But I can see properly again which is a bonus, I didnt really know how bad my eyes were until this morning when I got the glasses. Not sure how quick my eyes will deteriorate but I guess I will find out in time

JimB

This is more common phenomena than you might think. Apparently as you age your eye geometry changes. In my case I wore glasses for close objects and different glasses for distant objects. But over the past three years the short focus has worsened but the long focus has improved so much that I no longer need to wear glasses for distant objects.

About eye UV damage: I am not saying that this is always the cause of eye UV damage, but there is a dangerous aspect to sunglasses that I was not aware of until relatively recently. Unless your sunglasses are UV rated they darken the visible light but not the invisible high energy UV. The result is that in bright sun light, which has a high UV content, the iris opens because the visible light is reduced but the UV is not reduced with the danger that your eye can suffer UV damage. This is especially a danger with kids who's eyes are more vulnerable and are more likely to wear cheap fair-ground grade sunglasses. After learning about this I am surprised that non UV sunglasses are not banned world-wide by the health authorities.

. Perhaps this is one of spec EE types , bad eyesight...
About bad eye sight and engineering types- not noticed any correlation there granddad. :)

Last edited:
My UVA damage is from stupidity, I have several strong sources of UVA. I use UVA for certain chemistry things like TLC visuals etc and also I use 50W UVA for water sterilization in hydroponics and various experiments. I have had several bad over exposures that required hospital treatment and this has damaged my eyes (right eye in particular), I also have a tiny spec in my right eye from using a laser I thought was 5mW but turned out to be alot stronger.

I am now extremely cautious with my eye sight, I am also partly deaf in my left ear from messing with things that go bang.

My UVA damage is from stupidity, I have several strong sources of UVA. I use UVA for certain chemistry things like TLC visuals etc and also I use 50W UVA for water sterilization in hydroponics and various experiments. I have had several bad over exposures that required hospital treatment and this has damaged my eyes (right eye in particular), I also have a tiny spec in my right eye from using a laser I thought was 5mW but turned out to be alot stronger.

I am now extremely cautious with my eye sight, I am also partly deaf in my left ear from messing with things that go bang.

Hell LG,

I know when you are young you are invincible, but your sight is the most precious of your 5 senses: you must look after your eyes because any problems/damage while you are younger will only make the situation worse as you get older. I expect you know this, but the eye is both the fastest and slowest healing organ in your body. The front part heals very quickly, 24 hours typically, but the rear part, optic nerve etc are extremely slow healing as are all the nerves in your body. In early 1964, as a passenger in a car that hit a wall, I was blinded in the right eye- the optic nerve had been damaged where it joins the retina.

The Ophthalmic consultant who checked my eyes said that the right eye would probably improve , but it would take years. What he said proved the case and now, 52 years later, I can recognize people and sort of watch TV with my right eye.

Like you, I have been blaze about my eyes: welding without shading mask, grinding/cutting without protective goggles and, worst of all, looking at a sun eclipse with the naked eye- that was really painful and burnt the retina but, luckily, it has pretty much healed up now.

It really pisses me that as my close up sight has deteriorated with age, so electronics has got smaller and smaller. This makes surface mount work impossible at the moment so I am investigating a microscope, either optical or electronic, as a background task.

I recommend listening to very loud music with headphones so that you can go deaf at the same rate you are going blind. While you are at it you should take up long distance running. Carry sacks of rice while you run so you will be sure to damage your knees. Smoking supposedly helps form the wrinkles on your face (especially those nice vertical lines on the lips). People may start calling you grandpa in no time.

Now, anyone have ideas on how we can get this kid to go bald?

Oh, and liver spots. Any suggestion for those?

I recommend listening to very loud music with headphones so that you can go deaf at the same rate you are going blind. While you are at it you should take up long distance running. Carry sacks of rice while you run so you will be sure to damage your knees. Smoking supposedly helps form the wrinkles on your face (especially those nice vertical lines on the lips). People may start calling you grandpa in no time.

Now, anyone have ideas on how we can get this kid to go bald?

Oh, and liver spots. Any suggestion for those?
What makes you think I am not loosing hair from scratching my head reading your posts?:D

Curses! He's getting a step a head of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back