• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem in Interfacing Battery with Reed switch-Help me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreekanthm

New Member
Dear all,
I have designed a battery(Lithium-Ion, 5.2 Amp/Hr) operated instrument. Instrument when switched on takes 1.5 amp of current.

I have conneted a reed switch(RI-25C,coto technology) having switching current capacity of 1 Amp and continuous carry current capacity of 3 Amp in series to battery.

Reed switch closes when a magnet is brought near to it and opens when the magnet is taken away.

Problem is when i interface the reed swith with the battery and bring the magnet near to it ,it closes and the instrument is powered,but when i bring the magnet away from the reed switch it still remains in closed state only and does not open.

If any one have the experiance in using reed switch or have an idea to solve the problem please let me know.


Thanks & Regards,
Sreekanth Reddy.M
 

Mr RB

Well-Known Member
The reed switch has a MAXIMUM switching capacity of 1 amp, and you are switching 1.5 amps that probably has a big capacitor too?

Sounds like you are exceeding the capacity of the reed switch, and possibly destroyed it. I would not run one anywhere near it's max switching capacity as a general rule. Maybe you could use the reed switch to operate a FET or transistor which switches your load current?
 
Last edited:

sreekanthm

New Member
Sorry MR RB , It is 0.5 amp of switching current i have written it as 1.5 amp.

Thanks MR RB ,I am very Sorry its my mistake.Instead of writing the switching current of instrument as 0.5 map i have written it as 1.5 amp.

Please suggest me the solution.

Thanks and Regards,
Sreekanth
 

sreekanthm

New Member
Problem in Interfacing Battery with Reed switch-Help me please

Thanks MR RB ,I am very Sorry its my mistake.Instead of writing the switching current of instrument as 0.5 map i have written it as 1.5 amp.

Please suggest me the solution.

Thanks and Regards,
Sreekanth
 

Sceadwian

Banned
It's still probably a faulty switch, either replace it or take it apart and clean the contacts.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles

Loading
Top