Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem in design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you need a relay to operate a device, the current taken by the device will be considerable while the current taken by a relay is very small. Our CMOS relays require 5mA @5v.
The awkwardness of using a latching relay is not worth the effort.

If you need a relay to operate a device, the current taken by the device will be considerable while the current taken by a relay is very small. Our CMOS relays require 5mA @5v.
The awkwardness of using a latching relay is not worth the effort.
How much contact current can your CMOS relay switch?

What are you powering?
How much current do you need?
What is the voltage of the device you are powering?

If the current is over 15 amps, it would be better to use a MOSFET. Currents over 10 amp cause a lot of trouble with contacts. You get welding and pitting.

Alphadog, see the attached. It will not harm your I/O. In sleep mode your I/O retains the mode and state that is set before entering sleep mode. At power-up, your I/O is set to input mode with no pull-ups, so all bridge transistors will be off. You should put reversed biased diodes across each of the four transistors to protect the transistors against counter-EMF from the relay coil when it is turned off.

Attachments

• lrelay5.jpg
    lrelay5.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 183
Alphadog, see the attached. It will not harm your I/O. In sleep mode your I/O retains the mode and state that is set before entering sleep mode. At power-up, your I/O is set to input mode with no pull-ups, so all bridge transistors will be off. You should put reversed biased diodes across each of the four transistors to protect the transistors against counter-EMF from the relay coil when it is turned off.

Hey Curtis.
Thank you for your help.
I simulated your circuit with QBSR14 (NPN) and QBSR15 (PNP) and received I_RELAY = 5mA.

Hey Curtis.
Thank you for your help.
I simulated your circuit with QBSR14 (NPN) and QBSR15 (PNP) and received I_RELAY = 5mA.

Your simulation results are not the same as mine. Check that your bridge transistors have a gain (hfe) of at least 20 at collector curent of 200 mA, preferably more.

Yeah, but it's about .3 volts (max) at 200 mA, less typically. Still can't vouch for simulator's accuracy, though. Lots of pitfalls with simulators.

The simpler circuit (presented above) will need base resistors on the PNP transistors to keep them turned off as the bases are floating at the moment (say 4k7 from base to positive).
The 10uH choke will not be needed as this value will not have any effect in this situation. The 25R (27R) resistor will reduce the back emf from the (relay) coil.
The transistors may have to be up-rated to take the current.

Last edited:
One of the best transistors is ZTX851. (NPN) It is rated a 5A but at 2A the collector-emitter voltage is 150mV.

You will need to search the web for an equivalent PNP. This means the minimum loss will be 300mV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back