Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJammin

I want to convert wall AC to DC for a project I'm working on that will require a lot of power. Do you think using the power supply from an old computer would be a good idea? I'd build a convertor circuit myself, but I hesitate when I think about the danger involved in such a task.

What kind of power do you need? (amps, voltage)

I can help you out if you do need that much power.

You dont really need a convertor circuit, Just open up the PSU, connect the green enable line to a ground line. Bam you are done.

I think I'll go ahead with the power supply as you suggested. It's so convenient with the multiple color coded voltages offered.

MrJammin said:
I want to convert wall AC to DC for a project I'm working on that will require a lot of power. Do you think using the power supply from an old computer would be a good idea? I'd build a convertor circuit myself, but I hesitate when I think about the danger involved in such a task.
I just converted an old PC supply a couple of days ago. It works great!

If you need 3.3V/5V/12V/ then the PC's PSU suits pretty good. I have one attached under my Desk. And it comes handy for a lot of things. If it is a little newer then there are two wires to connect together in the motherboard connector. Usually A gray and Black(GND).
OT: I even made me a socket like the cigarette lighter socket, from a plastic bottles neck, a little motor holder and a bolt, a nut and a little alu foil :D. Works good for my neon light :D.

Here's a picture of mine. I added the binding posts, the LED, the switch on the side, and the labels on top. It only took me a few hours. The hardest part was cutting the oval holes for the binding posts.

Attachments

• pc supply1.jpg
    pc supply1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 140
Nice work there Roff. I hate doing the manual things like drilling holes in enclosures. I'm not very good at it, but I'm damned fussy aswell. Holes not straight? Fine, bin it is then. They have to look good, otherwise why bother with an enclosure. I should practice more, really.

Brian

Brian Hoskins said:
Nice work there Roff. I hate doing the manual things like drilling holes in enclosures. I'm not very good at it, but I'm damned fussy aswell. Holes not straight? Fine, bin it is then. They have to look good, otherwise why bother with an enclosure. I should practice more, really.

Brian
Thanks, Brian. After I made it, I was in the local Harbor Freight store, and happened upon sheet metal punches. I didn't find any oval ones, though. Even if I could buy one, and I'm sure I could for a price, I need one so seldom that I doubt it would be worth it.
A square punch would have made it a little easier, but I don't have one of them either, and neither did Harbor Freight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back