Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Posting Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

curoi

I've posted on the forum just a couple times to get a thermocouple project finished but I can't seem to upload any pictures to get help with setting up the thermocouple. How do I get my pictures posted? Thanks.

This seems as good a place as any to bring up the subject of picture etiquette for this forum. (Please realize that I do not speak as any kind of authority, but simply as an interested bystander.)

I bring this up because I see far too many examples of bad or wasteful use of pictures here. Bad because they don't illustrate anything well, and wasteful because they use up too much server space (which someone, after all, has to pay for in the end).

So here are some things that come to mind regarding posting pictures:

• If you're going to go to the trouble to post a picture, make it worthwhile Don't post a crappy, out-of-focus camera-phone pic where we can't see the circuit you're describing or make heads or tails out of what we're looking at.
  • If you post a diagram or illustration, at least try to make it understandable, using standard electronic symbols, readable text, and a decent color scheme (dark green on black is not a good color scheme!).
  • Don't post overly-large pictures. Not only are they probably not necessary, but some of us don't necessarily have high-speed connections (either dial-up, or using a handheld computer). Make it only as large as it really needs to be. Remember, the larger the picture, the more server space it takes up too.
  • When I create diagrams, I like to make nice compact GIFs. I reduce the number of colors to 16 (you don't need 16 zillion colors to create a circuit diagram!) and make them just large enough to be readable. Have mercy on your viewers!

Hi Curoi,

Welcome to the forums.

When replying to a post, click the Go Advanced button. Then click the attachment icon (**broken link removed**). This will allow you to upload images as well as other types of files.

Regards,
EM
What about posting a pic on a new thread. I tried uploading from my paint program in windows, but I keep getting a message that says can't handle file or something like that. Or not supported. Wanted to post a couple of circuit diagrams and ask a couple of questions.

You say not to post pics if not necessary, well I can understand that. My question, so as not to post a picture, is what is a good way in a digital circuit, lets say 12 volt DC, to tell from source to source if you have a parallel or series circuit. With a control board and controls to the load. From control to load, it's a bit different than say an analog circuit.

What about posting a pic on a new thread. I tried uploading from my paint program in windows, but I keep getting a message that says can't handle file or something like that. Or not supported. Wanted to post a couple of circuit diagrams and ask a couple of questions.

This sounds like the image is being saved in a file format other than those accepted by the server. For example if a file is opened in MS Paint, edited and saved to upload to the server file formats like .gif, .jpg or .png work fine. However other file formats such as .bmp or .tif I don't believe are supported (guessing on that). I also believe the maximum file size is 5 MB but again unsure.

As to your question, I think uploading an image would help considerably in this case. I would start a new thread in the General Chat section and again try to upload an image. Make sure the image is in one of the 3 formats I mentioned and let's see what happens.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back