Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please help me with this project i am a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

toprank

hi forum! I'm new here and this will also be my first project.

If you guy's can help me understand the components needed to accomplish this project, it would be grateful.

I want a series of led lights programmed to automatically turn on at certain times.

What hardware is needed in order to do this?

Do I need firmware to tell the lights when to come on?

thanks!

Do I need firmware to tell the lights when to come on?

thanks!

First off, it is really hard to tell you what you will need when your post is very vague on the specifics. What exactly are you wanting the LEDs to do. Flash a pattern, turn on in sequence, annunciate? What do you mean by "certain times"? Again, sequencial or time of day?
By "certain times" I assume you mean at a particular time of day based on the 24 hour clock. For beginners, the basic stamp is a really good place to start. It is an easy programming language to learn and easy device to implement. It is my understanding that the PIC microcontrollers are fairly user friendly as well (They must be, everyones using them.). Now I don't have any experience with the PICs personally, only what I have read and heard. Perhaps some of the other guys can expound in more detail about this. Most of my experience is with the Zilog Z8 microcontroller line. But I would not recommend that for you.

thanks!

sorry, by certain times I mean a pattern that will be made by myself, it will be up to 8 minutes of patterns, a minimum of 9 lights, each light will be doing different patterns.

First off, it is really hard to tell you what you will need when your post is very vague on the specifics. What exactly are you wanting the LEDs to do. Flash a pattern, turn on in sequence, annunciate? What do you mean by "certain times"? Again, sequencial or time of day?
By "certain times" I assume you mean at a particular time of day based on the 24 hour clock. For beginners, the basic stamp is a really good place to start. It is an easy programming language to learn and easy device to implement. It is my understanding that the PIC microcontrollers are fairly user friendly as well (They must be, everyones using them.). Now I don't have any experience with the PICs personally, only what I have read and heard. Perhaps some of the other guys can expound in more detail about this. Most of my experience is with the Zilog Z8 microcontroller line. But I would not recommend that for you.

Last edited:
Do you want the patterns to be configurable? It sounds like, based on your description, it would be best to use a microcontroller. So, to answer your earlier question, yes, firmware is required.:D
There are plenty of sites out there to help you get started. But the first thing you need to do is decide what controller to use. My recommendation is the basic stamp. It is really good for beginners. But some of the other guys in this forum may have other suggestions regarding the PIC family. Either one should provide you with what you need for your project.

Last edited:
Once I set the pattern, it will not need to be changed but you can choose a different set pattern from a list of the different patterns that will be made. (I guess you can call this a preset pattern list)

I need something with a good size memory; maybe I can use a SD memory card?

Where do you guys buy your electronic hardware? Any online shops you can recommend?

P.s. looking into the microcontroller now.

Do you want the patterns to be configurable? It sounds like, based on your description, it would be best to use a microcontroller. So, to answer your earlier question, yes, firmware is required.:D
There are plenty of sites out there to help you get started. But the first thing you need to do is decide what controller to use. My recommendation is the basic stamp. It is really good for beginners. But some of the other guys in this forum may have other suggestions regarding the PIC family. Either one should provide you with what you need for your project.

Last edited:
Once I set the pattern, it will not need to be changed but you can choose a different set pattern from a list of the different patterns that will be made. (I guess you can call this a preset pattern list)

I need something with a good size memory; maybe I can use a SD memory card?

You probably need much less memory than you think. If you have 16 LEDs that change patterns every second for 8 minutes then that would require 960 bytes (16[LEDs]/8[bits per byte] * 60[seconds] * 8[minutes]). A 16F88 could easily manage this.

Mike.

will the 16F88 micro be able to hold more than one 8 min pattern?

say around, 20 8 min patterns and 8-16 leds

it will also need LCD screen to pick the pattern.

If the 16F88 micro can't what other cheap are a little step up in memory (if affordable)

You probably need much less memory than you think. If you have 16 LEDs that change patterns every second for 8 minutes then that would require 960 bytes (16[LEDs]/8[bits per byte] * 60[seconds] * 8[minutes]). A 16F88 could easily manage this.

Mike.

Last edited:
will the 16F88 micro be able to hold more than one 8 min pattern?

say around, 20 8 min patterns and 8-16 leds

it will also need LCD screen to pick the pattern.

If the 16F88 micro can't what other cheap are a little step up in memory (if affordable)

hi toprank,

The spec seems to have 'grown' a little since your first post.:p

If you could tell us what the full spec is then we could give you some suggestions.

Hi ericgibbs! ok, let me get a list of things needed.

1. 20 + set patterns, each led will have different timing. (or as much as I can afford in memory) Note: this is just for future when I want to add more patterns. Each one being up to avg. 3-4 mins each. ( some can be up to 8 mins)

2. LCD to see the different set patterns in the list.

3. LEDS 8-16 (I could start off with 8 but would like to add more later.)

I want to be able to leave room for future module add ons.:):):):):)

I hope this is clearer.:D

hi toprank,

The spec seems to have 'grown' a little since your first post.:p

If you could tell us what the full spec is then we could give you some suggestions.

Hi ericgibbs! ok, let me get a list of things needed.

1. 20 + set patterns, each led will have different timing. (or as much as I can afford in memory) Note: this is just for future when I want to add more patterns. Each one being up to avg. 3-4 mins each. ( some can be up to 8 mins)

2. LCD to see the different set patterns in the list.

3. LEDS 8-16 (I could start off with 8 but would like to add more later.)

I want to be able to leave room for future module add ons.:):):):):)

I hope this is clearer.:D

hi tr,
Most mid range PIC's will have sufficient memory to do that job.
I would suggest a 2line * 16 character LCD for the lighting 'menu'

You will need a keypad to drive the LCD, so that you can step thru the options and then choose the one to run.

If you are considering future expansion I would go for a 16F877A, this will have enough pins for the LCD and keypad, plus any LED indicators you may need.

Any chance of a 'concept' sketch that could be posted.?

A sketch or drawing will help throw up any other problem areas..:)

thanks for the help,

I'm looking to add 2 modules total in the future, do you think the 16F877A micro can handle this? also will the LED be able to switch to the other 2 modules?

Right now I have a basic sketch of how i want the box, buttons ect.. on the concept, i just have a list of things i want it to do.

hi tr,

You will need a keypad to drive the LCD, so that you can step thru the options and then choose the one to run.

If you are considering future expansion I would go for a 16F877A, this will have enough pins for the LCD and keypad, plus any LED indicators you may need.

is this the one you are talking about eric?

Microchip 16F877A-I/P DIP40 chips

7 bucks

hi tr,

is this the one you are talking about eric?

Microchip 16F877A-I/P DIP40 chips

7 bucks

hi,
Thats the one, its in common use.

If thats too much, whats your budget figure.?

May I suggest that you consider the 16F887 rather than the 16F877. As Eric has pointed out, the 877 is more than adequate for your project, however, the 887 is an 877 with an internal oscillator and so will reduce the extra hardware requirements. The 887 is around $2.50 from Microchip.

Mike.

that's not much.

Now I need to figure out the other components needed power supply ect..

1. Micro
2. 1X16 LCD
3. LEDs
4. Programming board
5. Wires
6. Software to load firmware, flash the micro

I will look up some tutorials and see what else I can find. thanks all

hi,
Thats the one, its in common use.

If thats too much, whats your budget figure.?

Last edited:
ok pommie,

that's even better if it is the same but better and cheaper.:D

May I suggest that you consider the 16F887 rather than the 16F877. As Eric has pointed out, the 877 is more than adequate for your project, however, the 887 is an 877 with an internal oscillator and so will reduce the extra hardware requirements. The 887 is around $2.50 from Microchip.

Mike.

Assuming that you just want the through hole variety then you should look for I/P at the end of the package. That would be a standard through hole part.

Mike.

that's not much.

Now I need to figure out the other components needed power supply ect..

1. Micro
2. 1X16 LCD
3. LEDs
4. Programming board
5. Wires
6. Software to load firmware, flash the micro

I will look up some tutorials and see what else I can find. thanks all

hi,
Dont forget the keypad.!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads