Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit 3 tips and ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

be80be

Well I got a pickit 3 and been playing a bit with it. I didn't have any luck with Mplab IPE it keeps failing to program a chip using the pickit to power it.
So I made a hex and then tried the pickit 3 app it wouldn't open after using IPE so i got the idea to start it without hooking up the programmer
witch let me reload the the app bootloader and firmware.
I then programed the pic with that but the power on button dosen't power the chip till I do a read then the pic blink the led.
So I'm guessing pickit 3 doesn't like powering targets.
It works but power not really good using the pickit3 I'm thinking.

Last edited:
I have found the Pickit 3 is Much more fussy on connecting and powering up than the Pickit2.
If you don't go through exactly the sequence outlined in the Pickit3 sheet, it often won't connect properly.
Max.

The PK3 will only supply a fairly small amount of power, it's far better to power the target board independently.

As the PK3 measures the supply voltage before programming, if it's too low then it won't even attempt to program it, but will give you an error message instead.

I think it funny about the power too probably a lot of the problems with it is do to power.

I recently bought some....call them utility power supply modules...from Banggood. They are switching buck regulators that will handle up 23 volts DC input, and supply an adjustable output voltage at up to 3 amps between 0 and almost the supply voltage. The output voltage and current are shown on a bright clear LED. Connect a wall wart of between 12 - 23 volts and you have a handy way of powering circuits when the PICKLkit 3 is being picky :)

These power supply regulators are US$25....for 5! It's just kind of amazing some of the stuff coming out of China. There is a simple calibration step to adjust the voltage readout. After this is done, the levels indicated are accurate.

SmartSelectImage_2017-03-29-00-29-22.png
SmartSelectImage_2017-03-29-00-28-46.png
tmp_31151-SmartSelectImage_2017-03-29-00-28-061165476415.png

I've got a couple of those Banggood modules, they are excellent and easy to use :D

I've got one connected up powering a GSM module from a 12V supply - a VERY crude 12V supply I made from an old battery charger over 40 years ago.

Two suggestions, put a ferrite block on the USB. use shorter / no wires. My MC PK3's not experienced problems with power..

Two suggestions, put a ferrite block on the USB. use shorter / no wires. My MC PK3's not experienced problems with power..

What are you powering from it?, it's power capability is limited - often you can power it from the PK3 for programming by unplugging things like LCD modules.

That converter is around the same price as a single 16x2 lcd with no backlight............. You couldnt begin to get close to the price by making one. Good and bad though, threads used to be about making converters. So much stuff is so much cheaper to buy than make, I still make stuff though as I like the learning. Having said that I might buy a couple :D

well I ordered three of them modules this morning
now I need to purchase a new pickit2 and/or 3. I think my unit just went kaputt. The magic leaked out can smell it and it doesn't want to even work now. best place to purchase?? an original pickit2 or 3 from??

The only down side to the 2 is that newer Pic's are not covered, otherwise I prefer to use the 2 in place of the three where possible, the other advantage is the ability to use the Pickit 2 Ver2.61 stand alone programming, logic and Uart tool, also the ability to read the OSCCAL on the 12F pics.
Max.

I ordered a pickit3 frm Mouser along with a icsp cable.
took the pickit2 apart but don't notice any hot parts but it smells fried.
WHY ????

I ordered a pickit3 frm Mouser along with a icsp cable.
took the pickit2 apart but don't notice any hot parts but it smells fried.
WHY ????

Why not build yourself a basic Pk2, very easy , just follow BlueRooms Pk2 plans that are on the forum.

I would imagine if it smells fried then you've done something nasty to it :D

Something very nasty indeed! The PICkit 2 has an extremely good survival instinct. Even shorting its power output to ground doesn't bother it.

Perhaps it sacrificed itself to protect its brethren!

What are you powering from it?
I have run simple development boards and a couple of MC demo boards with 8 leds , I would not suggest running a project from PK3. I also use a powered USB hub, as I suggested i think a USB ferrite core and no jumper extension wires make a difference during the device detection / programming phase.

I Just seeing whats said but I don't like the pickit 3 like I did my 2. But that's ok I need one for newer chips to play with.
I've had no luck using it with mpLab X 3.55 or the IPE v3.55 it gives up with the target not being powered so I used the pickit App.
That was a pain in the butt cause it wouldn't start because the first thing Mplab X did was update the bootloader then firmware.
I guess that newer stuff made the app for the pickit 3 not work.
I started the app without the pickit3 hooked up then had it reflash the pickit bootloader witch it said it did and then it used its firmware for my chip I then programmed the same hex mplab X made and it did that fine.
So Im thinking just power the target and try that next time with MplabX and maybe it will work too.

I think MrDEB's projects shouldn't require the latest, greatest chips needing a PICkit 3.

His projects aren't pushing the envelope and using the latest chips in Swordfish Basic often requires tweaking the drivers. MrDEB's legendary troubleshooting skills would make using the PICkit 3 challenging at best, and isolating Swordfish driver problems with the latest chips from improperly-formated IF/THEN statements a virtual impossibility.

MrDEB, stick with the PICkit 2.

Hmm did you by any chance use a ATX power supply on the project, while programming from a powered pickit2? Destroyed 4 pickit3's now. Had 2 Junebugs and still do, the june bugs were when I first started. Those things survived the attentions of an 11 year old with no knowledge at all. I have destroyed an ICD3, but pickit2.................. That is VERY impressive indeed. You have probably impressed more, than had you walked water, try it though, lets face it if you can destroy a PK2 then walking on water shouldnt be that hard :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back