Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit 3 tips and ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that big I don't think that's the problem It programs fine if the power is on. I'm going to try it with the chip powered
What happens is it pops up that the target is a 3.3 volt chip and kills the power and then it's not there and it looks for the chip before it powers it.

sure it is actually being powered? run.. set config...custom.. pickit3..power...? (it likes to revert to default(off))
i think that target is a 3.3 is generic warning.

when i get power issue, powering from pickit, ie.. target is showing lower volts that specified... i just turn the supply power down to the value that is being detected resulting in a bit less current traveling,

overall though my clone has worked nicely with mplabX and XC8 for my 16F series .... except cause of clone i lost some debugging abilities:(.

Yeah, sometimes that 3.3V warning is just that... it's letting you know of a potential problem, not necessarily a real one.

What chip are you trying to program?

Ok lets see I'm sitting here looking at it I set power on hit program and watch the thing turn off and tell me to make sure my chip is set right and then the program window tells me I no longer have a chip hooked to the pickit 3.
I then toggle the power setting and bang the power comes back on and I have a chip hooked up hit program and bang no power.
Hit read and it powers that works to read it hit program and power goes off. plus every time the power goes off it tells me to check the chip to see if its a 3.3 volt part
I know the power is going off.
Why I haven't figured that out I changed chips to a 5 volt 18f2550 the IPE had no problem the app didn't work at all I'm about to think I got a bad programer Its a clone

Well I received the pickit3 in the mail today and it says on the directions DO NOT USE PULL-UPS ON PGC/PGD.
now to figure out how to use it. I guess it is way different than the pickit2 window.
need to sort it out, read the user guide etc.

its no different to the PK2 really. Except its a bit more finicky and bricks if you stare at it the wrong way.

I know with my PK3, non-knock off I have to follow the configure steps here otherwise it errors out.
Many times I have to exit MPLAB and re-enter.
**broken link removed**
Max.

a MC PK3 is a versatile programmer and de-bug tool , A clone ... who knows.

its no different to the PK2 really. Except its a bit more finicky and bricks if you stare at it the wrong way.

The big difference for MrDEB is that he has to use MPLAB; there's no stand alone GUI. If you're not familiar with MPLAB, that adds a few layers of complexity.

I guess it's how I've been doing the pickit 2 always worked with a unpowered chip.
The pickit3 dosen't like that It works and JonSea your right the MPLAB is nothing like the app
It works but you got set setting you have to find them it's not as easy as a mouse click on the app.
pickit3.png

MR deb You do not want use MPLAB
You want use THE IPE that comes with MPLAB it let's you use the swordfish hex the easiest way
IPE.png

It's probably the best way to use the pickit3

In have the pickit3 loading but keep getting a failed load message. Have something wrong. Need to look at the code as it might be for a 18f2221 but researching (reading as I got interrupted w/ dinner et, and now LOML is watching her tv program, so back at it.
Maybe wait until I get my pickit2's in the mail. Might just sell off this unit (pickit3) Life is too short,besides I am back assembling the sound effect project using a 76477 complex sound chip.

I've had no problem programming if the chip is powered only if I'm using the pickit3 as power witch is what I always did with the pickit2.
The ipe works fine if you login and us it that way but that's kind of crazy to me but it works fine after doing so that lets you set setting for powering and stuff

I've had no problem programming if the chip is powered only if I'm using the pickit3 as power witch is what I always did with the pickit2
I use the pickit3 to power the target, but only for simple boards that don't need much current. I normally don't have much more than 10uF of total C on the VDD line, if that much. The pickit2 can supply more current.

Are you ready to let us know how much you have installed on your board or do you still think "it's not that big" is a good answer?

I'm going to power target. I'm telling you from what I've seen its what happening

There are several things that I have that are not correct
I need to power the target ??
I need to create the login to Microchip
Use a board that has NO pull-ups on PGC/PGD. The tap-28 board has pull-ups that I need to disconnect.
All the boards that I have for my Mexi train have pull=ups but are battery powered so I guess I can't use the pickit3 on them either.
Will sell off the new pickkit3 as I have two pickit2's on order. I have no plans to go to an advanced chip anyway.

There is a exact replica of the old PK2 stand alone program for the pk3, how come no one seems to use it??

pk3.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back