Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16PRO compatible chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGeek

Im a total newbie and just ordered a PIC16PRO programer from Amazon electronics. I was wondering what chips are compatible. It seems that people are using chips other than what is listed as compatible on their website. Also their website list doesnt include any EEPROM or FLASH chips (which is what I want).
Im new at this and going to make lots of mistakes, so I cant use OTP, and UV windows are too expensive. I need a good chip for an LCD display that will display values from temperature sensors.

Could someone please suggest some FLASH or EEPROM chips that I can use with this programmer? Also, is there any other software and hardware I need? (I got MPLAB and PICAll free version).
Thanks all.

It's not the P16PRO hardware but the software that defines wich chips you can program.

Go to nigel's site (www.winpicprog.co.uk) and download winpicprog, free pic programming software (you might want to register so you can download the newest beta from the forums).

When you open the software you can see wich chips it can program (lots!)... And more chips are added frequently...

As for a good chip that displays values from temperature sensors. What kind of sensors?, how many?..

Well I havent committed to any specific temp sensor yet, so any suggestions would be appreciated. There will be two temp sensors, I was thinking of using thermistors. My only limitation is that they need to be small (~5mm) and they need to remotely mounted (on a wire, not on the circuit board).
I am guessing that the analog to digital might be challenging for a newbie, so if you have any suggestions for an easy route to accomplish this, that would be great.

I also would like to incorporate an optical sensor, for measuring RPM of a spinning shaft, so if you have any ideas for that it would love to hear!

NewGeek said:
Well I havent committed to any specific temp sensor yet, so any suggestions would be appreciated. There will be two temp sensors, I was thinking of using thermistors. My only limitation is that they need to be small (~5mm) and they need to remotely mounted (on a wire, not on the circuit board).
I am guessing that the analog to digital might be challenging for a newbie, so if you have any suggestions for an easy route to accomplish this, that would be great.
It depends on how accurate it has to be, if it doesn't have to be that accurate you could just get a pic with built in ADC to to connect your thermistor to. For increased accuracy you require extra circuitry like a current regulator (to keep current trough thermistor constant) and circuitry to compensate for the cable running to the thermistor.

If the sensor isn't too far away you could use a digital sensor with an I²C bus interface for example, but using such devices will limit cable length to a couple of meters.

NewGeek said:
I also would like to incorporate an optical sensor, for measuring RPM of a spinning shaft, so if you have any ideas for that it would love to hear!

Any pic can do that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back