Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC data logger

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HC12 wireless boards turned up on Saturday, so I had a play on Sunday - wonderful devices - I simply unplugged the FTDI module from my PIC board,made a couple of small veroboard adaptors, and plugged one HC12 on the end of the FTDI convert, and the other on the PIC board.

Instant wireless connection, no software changes required - had it running last evening with the sensor in the shed at the bottom of the garden, feeding my PC in the attic :D

Just got back home, dug out a mains PSU (I was only using a small 9V battery yesterday), and stuck it all out in the shed - I've got my PC downloading the temperature and humidity every minute, and graphing it.

It's 29.3C and 42.1% in the shed at the moment :D - I'll see what it does over night - I think it might be useful to add a record of the maximum and minimum readings to the software as well?

Just thought I'd show you what's been going on, it's been running (and still is) in my shed at the bottom of the garden, using the HC-12 wireless modules for the connection, here's a graph of the last 50 hours or so - it was beautiful Monday, and hit over 30 degrees in the shed, but not been so good since, and a lot of rain :( We did have a little warmer spell this afternoon, as shown by the peak at the right, interesting that there was a humidity peak shortly before though).

Shed.png

Incidentally, this image was saved directly to PNG from the Lazarus program, previous ones have been from PrintScrn and edited with Paint.

hi Nigel,
Have a look at the BMP180, barometric sensor.
Got mine from Amazon.
Eric

There's a BMP280 now which is better. You can e-bay modules for cheap.

They really are very cool just to play with. I was amazed at the sensitivity for altitude tracking. I set up a BMP180 with a display and you can watch the pressure reading change as you just raise/lower it a meter. I'm pretty sure there's a thread I posted on it a few years ago on here.

EDIT, actually the first one I used is the BMP085, even older.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/bmp085-barometric-pressure-sensor.104889/

Last edited:
OK, been running five days now, here's the resulting graph.

Shed2.png

Interesting to see the daily temperature peaks, although Tuesday was a bit of a crappy day :D

I'm also a bit puzzled as to why Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday all have a humidity peak just before the temperature peak?, presumably Tuesday was just too crappy for anything to happen.

Maybe the humidity peak preceding the temperature peak could be explained by evaporation of overnight dew?

Just to keep you all up to date, here's a current example using two wireless temp/humidity sensors, the red trace is outside in my shed (at the bottom of the garden), the blue trace is upstairs in my attic workshop - the very first part of the trace isn't relevant, it was just some manual testing done before the run. Hopefully this shows my insulation in the attic is doing something :D

The three temperature peaks are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons. I'm presuming the tiny blips on the blue trace are when the sun shines directly through the attic roof window?.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with what it shows, and I'm planning adding more sensors and traces.

24May16.png

Great job Nigel :)

I haven't done a PC program in a few years. Last ones I did were in Visual Basic. I've downloaded Lazarus and will give it a try.

I made a datalogger a few year ago, but never took it off the breadboard. I was going to take it on hiking/canoeing trips to track weather and my location throughout the trip. Once I made it on the breadboard and got data to the microSD card, I kinda lost interest in it. I put a RFM12B RF module on it, but didn't use it. I think my idea was to throw everything including the kitchen sink in case it was useful. It had atmo pressure, temperature, humidity, GPS, accelerometer (to track when I was moving).
20100409-logger-001.jpg

I've not bothered posting the latest graph, but I've now got four wireless sensors running, shed, attic, main bedroom, and living room - just got the updated Lazarus program running with four, so see how that goes. The latest two sensors are running off 6xAA batteries, but I've not even measured the consumption yet :D

Here's a Lochmaster layout of the sensor I've just finished, the board has the corners cut off to fit in a plastic box, with the DHT22 mounted externally, on the end of the box, wired to the three pins at the right. The HC12 wireless module plugs into the connector at top right, mounted upside down. The PSU pins at bottom right are wired to a 2.1mm PSU socket mounted on the opposite end of the box to the DHT22.

DHT22 sensor.png

Hi Nigel,
Am I correct in assuming that all 5 HC-12s are working on the same frequency and that you initiate a reading by transmitting an address from the HC-12 connected to the PC which causes one of the HC-12s in the remote units to send its data ? I have just started playing with a pair of HC-12s using a PIC12f1822 to convert the DHT22 data to an ASCII string. This is the circuit and firmware that I have used.

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back