Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC data logger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool :)

Pun not intended, but I did notice it after I posted. :eek:

Just to keep you all informed, following a previous thread where Ian Rogers suggested FRAM instead of EEPROM, I'm now using FRAM instead - far nicer :D

Thank you Ian, I'd never heard of FRAM before - just popped it in, and it worked immediately - then of course I went back and removed the write delays for the EEPROM.

Unfortunately they are only available as SM, so I bought some little adaptor boards (from Bangood) to convert them.

The final project I'm working towards will probably be SM anyway, so it's not a problem once we get to the PCB design stage.

Unfortunately they are only available as SM, so I bought some little adaptor boards (from Bangood) to convert them.
Yep! My eyes are not what they used to be... So soldering them on is a pain for me.

I couldn't believe how shaky my hands are these days

The sorrow of many, the fool's consolation. :(

In the last months, that became a problem for me (69 yo) and there are moments when I have to stop and wait.

My eldest brother, an accomplished artist / model builder and my friend, a still active cardiovascular surgeon, they do not seem to suffer any. Happy them.

Well!! I have really taken to Lazarus!! Thanks for the pointer Nigel!

I have managed to port my graphical simulator to the IDE and I have full serial port control!!!

I will also be using this to make MY datalogger.... I downloaded synaser... It seems to have functions beyond my expectations.. As Nigel has mentioned, it's database and graphing functions are too many to list...

I have some older FRAM 1meg I think they are and I am sure they are a larger package, dont hold me to it but when we start sorting my man cave out tomorrow I will look for you.

hi Nigel,
I have just installed Lazurus, and the tutorials link, its over 25 years since I played with Pascal.

I have a DHT22 on the bench, would it be to much to ask you to post your code this project.

Eric

ericgibbs If you download Synapse serial units... I found that its best to put the three (relevant ) units in your project folder... synaser, synautil, synafpc all pascal units...

I like the idea of making a GUI so I am gonna give Lazarus a try, just installed it.

Lazarus.PNG
I think I am gonna need a tutorial. I found this one on you tube.
Is there a sample project with a GUI already started that I can play with?
Thanks Nigel for the post.

hi Mike,
I have installed all the required Lazarus programs
There are some good web tutorial video's also this PDF is informative.

Eric

Attachments

• StartProgUsingPascal.pdf
    872.4 KB · Views: 254
Mikebits Tons of examples in the Lazarus directory.... Also remember!! This is primarily Delphi so most examples will run on Lazarus...

If you download any units, they also come with an abundance of demo's....

Well!! I have really taken to Lazarus!! Thanks for the pointer Nigel!

I have managed to port my graphical simulator to the IDE and I have full serial port control!!!

I will also be using this to make MY datalogger.... I downloaded synaser... It seems to have functions beyond my expectations.. As Nigel has mentioned, it's database and graphing functions are too many to list...

This looks like a really powerful IDE, I'm really looking forward to learning this. Ever since I took my C++ class I wanted to learn how to make a GUI interface as all we covered was command line. Hey IAN for your serial port control, do you have to have some sort of drivers installed (stupid question I'm sure) I have some new test equipment that has USB and LAN interface that I would like to control using a GUI on my PC. The test equipment uses SCPI commands which I think is a now standard for TE control.
I apologize I have taken Nigels thread off topic. I will start my own Lazarus post. Thanks

I have always played around with pascal, but as I knew C it never went further.... Delphi is an amazing RAD IDE probably more so than VB....

There is a good example of API usage.... If you turn your pic device into a HID or CDC device, USB would be an easy thing to do... BUT!!! I'm doing the old fashion serial FT232 bridge and using the TBlockSerial class that Synapse have written..

Works great!

I have always played around with pascal, but as I knew C it never went further.... Delphi is an amazing RAD IDE probably more so than VB....

There is a good example of API usage.... If you turn your pic device into a HID or CDC device, USB would be an easy thing to do... BUT!!! I'm doing the old fashion serial FT232 bridge and using the TBlockSerial class that Synapse have written..

Works great!
isnt part of the problem with pics and USB the lib they provide is overly complex as they have lumped all the classes into one big mess you have to pick through? HID etc is all part of the bigger library they did, not sure how they now handle it with XC8 but C18 and USB was pretty bad.

isnt part of the problem with pics and USB the lib they provide is overly complex as they have lumped all the classes into one big mess you have to pick through? HID etc is all part of the bigger library they did, not sure how they now handle it with XC8 but C18 and USB was pretty bad.
I use pic32 and MikroE so No!! USB is a doddle..... I don't need to write low level stuff when theirs works so well!

I use pic32 and MikroE so No!! USB is a doddle..... I don't need to write low level stuff when theirs works so well!
I did say C18 and XC8! I was specifically talking about the native microchip libs. i didnt think you could use MikroE compilers with pickit3 or ICD3?? Or have they changed this now? I know you can load the Hex file from Mikro E with ICD3 but can you use debug with ICD3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back