Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Philco Tube Tester 50 manual needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello, I can't seem to find a manual for Philco Tube Tester 050. This 1941 model tube tester seems to still work as me and my prof fired it up today. However, due to the absence of manual, no one in my school seems to know how to operate it correctly. Does any one know how to operate this tube tester?

Thanks

P.S. If any one posses a manual, please post it...

**broken link removed**

If you have a tube manual and the tester schematic a manual can probably be reverse-engineered.
What tubes do you need tested? I still have my RCA tube manual from 1964.

Years ago, we had a tube tester at work, and when I tried to get a manual for it I was told that operating the tester was "intuitive".
When I finally got the manual it was 60 pages. That is a lot of intuition.

A tube is a voltage controlled current source. I guess a minimum test includes cathode emission and transconductance. They might also check for shorts between elements.
All the knobs and sockets are there because the internal wiring of tubes is different.
For pentodes there is a control grid, a screen grid and a suppressor grid, but I think these last two have fixed voltages applied.

You will definitely have some fun doing this one!

Last edited:
You will definitely have some fun doing this one!

Indeed. We got the our Tube to Glow. It's a HV diode Tube used in CRT televisions. Ironicly I was able to find the Datasheet for this Tube.

Eh, I bought that Tube for one dollar. I know a place where they got boxes of tubes, and all sell for one dollar each (regardless of size and type). But the store does not gurantee their condition.

It's a 1G3GT Tube

Tube/valve testers aren't really that effective, they only do limited tests - and what do you want a load of old valves for anyway? - best use is air rifle targets! :D

To sell them?

Some are actually worth something.

Tube/valve testers aren't really that effective, they only do limited tests - and what do you want a load of old valves for anyway? - best use is air rifle targets! :D

Your EVIL !

LOLZ J/K. Nah I relly like TUBES. As TUBES R US...

Anyways, I whant to build a 10,000 WATT Microwave RF TRANSMITTER. :)
Don't ask me why, I just want to thats all...

Basicly I would like to see if that can fry some brain, and if it does, than I have a very powerfull weapon I can sell to my neighbour from the middle east....

Last edited:
Indeed. We got the our Tube to Glow.
too much plate current? 0.5 mA avg., and filament voltage is 1.05 to 1.45v
the plate can go to 22kV

It's a 1G3GT Tube
I see it in my manual.
Now you need to figure out the tester so it feeds the tube the right stuff on the right pins.
If you don't see thick insulation opn the wires inside the tester then I don't think it generates 22kV.

Last edited:
Nigel, it's very difficult to restore antique radios and antique test equipment as a hobby if you don't use tubes/valves. And using old tubes/valves as air rifle targets will really get the ire of antique radio buffs up in a hurry!

Dean

Nigel, it's very difficult to restore antique radios and antique test equipment as a hobby if you don't use tubes/valves. And using old tubes/valves as air rifle targets will really get the ire of antique radio buffs up in a hurry!

I'm afraid that's where many of them have gone :D

Although to be fair, most would have been TV valves, not radio ones.

Our valve tester (a large Avo one, that used plug in bakelite cards) was sadly destroyed in a fire we had many years ago :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back