Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Philadelphia Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizard

Last edited:
Is it possible to do so really?

Well if we knew that the there would be no conspiracy theory, would there?

But doesn't that seem a bit of an "exotic" experiment? Why would you try cloaking an entire ship before you tried cloaking something a lot smaller? And wouldn't you test something like that in a lab before testing it on a ship? By the time you tried it outside on something as large as a ship, you're probably going to be pretty damn sure that it's going to work.

I don't think it would be like field testing a new airplane that was built using "known physical laws" where you have to build then fly it to see how it performs.

Last edited:
dknguyen,

Totally I agree with you, but I am wondering why google leads me to more than 400,000of result for it?!

I am not able to accept that experiment too. It's so imaginary!

Last edited:
400,000 that's it? It's because people LOVE conspiracy theories. Total wackos 50% of them, the other 50% are just severely misguided intelligent people =)
Good movie though.

Its a myth and has been busted more then once. It never happened.

Could a battle ship be made invisable...... maybe. Theres certinly alot of stuff about physics we don't understand, but its certinly not possible now, let alone in the 1940's.

They've JUST manage to actually cloak things to microwave radiation, and even that's not perfect. They have some neat nano materials that produce optical effects that hide the true shape of something underneath it but nothing even close to invisibility.

Last edited:
One thing they always over look was the fact that back then they had some basic type of radar and magnetic based proximity sensing systems. An actual trick to make a ship "invisable" was to basicaly run a giant degaussing coil around the ship.
This would temporarily make the magnetic based proximity devices on mines and other trap type weapons usless. They were then "Invisable" to the Sensors.

The short term high energy output of one of those big degaussing coils was suposedly able to scramble the basic radar signal so that the enemy radar would not get a usefull return reflection. The actual ship would look so big and distorted that they would asume it was a radar glitch and not a real object.

As far as messing up people, the real facts are that being exposed to very high strength fluctuating magnetic fields can tempoarily mess a persons cognitive processes up.
It can cause some to halucinate or cause upset stomachs and disorientation and confusion.

Throw some good miss information sent out to the enemy and give it a few years and guess what you have, An invisable ship! Add some reports from low raking officers that were part of the degaussing but did not know what was going on or what the effects on them could be and the story just gets built on from there!

That must have been a BIIIIGGG coil. I'd love to see something like that =-)
I've use a spool of Cat5 cable with the pairs wired in series to provide a 'super coil' for ELF reception before, but there's so much 60hz noise here it's drowns everything else out. Amusingly enough if I put my cordless phone near it can 'hear' the magnetic fields a speaker puts out within about 6 inches, this is all with no amplification.

The main question is that how does a magnetic force is able to cause things to be invisible I think?

Depends on what part of the elecromagnetic spectrum you are tying to be invisable to! A radar absorbing paint will make a jet "invisable" to rader but not to high resolution thermal imaging or the visual light spectrum. a good paint job can make it so hard to see that the visual effect makes it apear invisable. But sound and thermal will still pick it up.
Fly high enough and the sound issue goes away.

SO it basicaly comes down to what part of the electromagnetic spectrum you want to be invisable to and what you are trying to hide.

The best and proved method to make a battleship invisible is to sink it! :p

The best and proved method to make a battleship invisible is to sink it! :p

Or,Bermuda Triangle. Planes,ships,boats..................Jimmy Hoffa:p

kv:D.

Let's not forget alien abduction as well!

<sniffle> Well when I w-w-aass a wee lad <sniffle> Th-tth-heyy <sob> No no I can't go on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back