Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CERN experiments - Tiny black holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there you scared people :D, I don't think that it would have any impact to anything if guys in CERN made a tiny BH in experiment. There are theories that say that this kind of BH is formed all around us, all the time. To be "dangerous" BH has to have some sort of critical mass which those do not have. As about Higs boson or famous God particle you should read Leon Lederman book under same title. This particle is supposed to be mediator of a kind for gravitational force. And I have to say that most of these concepts in quantum physics are rather hard to grasp whiteout knowing some realy advanced math, and I mean realy ADVANCED, like math i 12 dimensions! I used to be good in both but I don't really understand all these new quantum breakthroughs.:mad:

Lest we get too concerned about the results it might be good to remember that energy out is always less than or equal to energy in.

pitronix said:
Hi there you scared people :D, I don't think that it would have any impact to anything if guys in CERN made a tiny BH in experiment. There are theories that say that this kind of BH is formed all around us, all the time. To be "dangerous" BH has to have some sort of critical mass which those do not have. As about Higs boson or famous God particle you should read Leon Lederman book under same title. This particle is supposed to be mediator of a kind for gravitational force. And I have to say that most of these concepts in quantum physics are rather hard to grasp whiteout knowing some realy advanced math, and I mean realy ADVANCED, like math i 12 dimensions! I used to be good in both but I don't really understand all these new quantum breakthroughs.:mad:

Do we have a way of detecting such tiny BH? Very interesting.

t.o. said:
Do we have a way of detecting such tiny BH?
No, for two fundamental reasons. First, the Schwartzchild radius of a proton-mass BH would be smaller than the Planck length. This makes such objects, if they exist, effectively undetectable. Second, due to Hawking radiation, a hole that small would evaporate within the order of 10^-30 seconds. I don't think anything we have can respond to an event that fast.

Papabravo said:
Lest we get too concerned about the results it might be good to remember that energy out is always less than or equal to energy in.

this does apply pretty much to everything....but i do think that nuclear chain reaction has more energy out than in ....

tom3000 said:
this does apply pretty much to everything....but i do think that nuclear chain reaction has more energy out than in ....
As does a match.

Mike.

Papabravo said:

yes but do you know how much energy they put in to create this situation?

did they not build a seperate power plant to power this experiment???

Originally Posted by tom3000

in my opinion the energie in a nuclear chain reaction is just already stored energy which we only trigger
it is not that you make energy from nothing

on the other hand this is just an asumption that we learned on school but maby this is not true

same as that we discovered much later than the first electrical laws where created that electrons ectualy travel from the negative pole to the positive one

Robert-Jan

rjvh said:
same as that we discovered much later than the first electrical laws where created that electrons ectualy travel from the negative pole to the positive one

Except in a battery or a generator.

Pommie said:
As does a match.
No, the energy required to extract and process the chemicals which comprise the matchhead and to manufacture the match is quite a bit more than you get from actually burning it.

rjvh said:
in my opinion the energie in a nuclear chain reaction is just already stored energy which we only trigger
it is not that you make energy from nothing

Right, but a nuclear reaction requires a critical mass in order to sustain itself; the critical mass necessary for a black hole to continue to exist is apparently much much larger than all the mass in this solar system.

I won't lose any sleep.

I²R said:
No, the energy required to extract and process the chemicals which comprise the matchhead and to manufacture the match is quite a bit more than you get from actually burning it.

not to mention, chopping down a tree :D

The real possibility is understanding the chain of superstructure at that level is to me like RNA and DNA to the human cell and it's nuclear furnace.

Once achieved this now has the possibility of opening the door to new combinations such as fullerenes and their contributions to science.

Sad, yet optimistic that there will always be a mystery for us to master in our quest to understand the universe. This higgs is just another starting point to be able to hopefully turn matter inside out.

By the way anyone seen anything about the new flat carbon yet.

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back