Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Philadelphia Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
<sniffle> Well when I w-w-aass a wee lad <sniffle> Th-tth-heyy <sob> No no I can't go on!

Aliens or catholic preacher? :confused:
Both discriptions always start the same as yours! :D

With the original post, id have to say it seems like its fake because only in the last 2 years (cant remember where I saw the article), have scientists figured out (in theory) how to bend light around objects.

i'll try and find that article, but that was in the last 2 years id say and it was just theory. They are working on a prototype, which i think they said would be take more than a few years.

With that, is why I think a cloaking device was not possible back then.

WARNING:
*I did not read the entire article, just skimmed it, nor did I read this entire thread.*

lol

In WW2 they used bright headlights on airplanes that were ship/sub hunting to make them blend with the day sky.

They used that on the Phantom jet some years later. Supposedly compensated for brightness and hue with CDS cells and a combination of blue and white lights.

A buddy of mine worked on one of those ships with the degaussing coils. Those ships had woodden hulls. He said one of the coolest things about it was that natives would come out of the jungle, jump in a canoe, row out and chuck spears at it, and because it was wood the spears would stick in the side, so they could get them later for souvenirs.

So did your buddy ever give you any real specs or info on what they were actualy trying to do with the giant coils?
Most of what I have read about was still second hand information gathered from supposedly upper level staff at the time. I still felt that alot of information was not exactly true or at least was not accurately given.

But it did dispell some of the invisable ship myths with far more creditable and plausable consepts and reasoning.

Yes, the coils were used to null the distortion of the Earth's magnetic field due to the metal components in the ship (like the engine). There were a bunch of the coils in, on, and around the hull, they used low power DC magnetic fields, and had to be constantly adjusted by hand.

He never mentioned anything about the coils doing anything to radar. Guy's name is Randy Suess. He's a legend in the BBS world, because he invented it.

Like I said I was not sure what the real purpose of them was. What I read about still seemed odd to me but still plausible. I was never sure of the radar distorting ability .I figured it was maybe possible but then it could have been a exaggeration to mislead the enemy spies at the time.
Like I said in my first post allot of the information given out back then was purposely misleading but some was plausible in some cases I read but others were outright lies too!
Now I know. Thanks!

I know what you mean. I've heard dozens of legends, I'm still trying to separate myth from fact in many of them.

One of my favorites was the "star tracker" used in the SR71. That plane, and its drone, used the same kinds of computer systems that were developed for Apollo (ref. "Skunk Works" by Ben Rich). There was a special gizmo to track stars for navigation, however, and there are some odd rumors that the computer in that used something like "perceptron" circuitry.

Another one I like is the one about the Navy SEAL goggles that use phased-array sonar to enable divers to see through muddy river water.

Also, what is the real direct destructive capability of military lasers? I've heard guys swear they saw one blow a truck into hand-sized pieces, but I wonder if there is confusion with laser-guided bombs and such, or intentional misinformation.

Last edited:
There was an episode of Modern Marvels on the History channel that dealt with 'Strange Weapons' and they talked about the current state of military laser technology. It's finally to the point where they might be able to shoot down a missile. The demonstrations they did were sort of like watching the movie "Real Genius" from the 80's if you remember that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back