Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Performance Electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it's basically the same thing...
Hydraulic pumps/motors, mechanical arms/levers, electric motors/generators, all basically interchangeable.
Turn a hydraulic pump to turn a hydraulic motor to move X mass Y distance takes Z energy input.
Pump a mechanical arm (eg. connecting rod) to turn a wheel to move X mass Y distance takes Z energy input.
Spin an electric generator to spin an electric motor to move X mass Y distance takes Z energy input.

Deplete a battery to turn a wheel to move X mass Y distance takes Z energy input. Now sap some of the Z energy input and use it to turn a hydraulic motor to spin an electric generator to recharge earlier mentioned battery.
You've just incurred a bunch of parasitic losses in the transformation of energy from linear to rotary to hydraulic to electrical to chemical, back to electrical, back to rotary, back to linear, which is your so-called energy recovery system. Not to mention the extra mass of hauling that extra motor/generator pair along for the ride.

Just.....doesn't.....work....

Physics 101.

SteveBs' opinion is the only one I care to hear. He has some class.
You and Nigel can run along and play.

You can do that, but we have the law of conservation of energy to deal with. So, when you do it, you slow down the car faster by applying a decellerating force on the car. Mechanical advantage, while very useful, doesn't circumvent the law of conservation of energy. It only allows you to make better use of the energy you have.

So previously we were talking about regenerative energy which comes from breaking and downhill runs. In those cases wasted energy can be utilized to give better overall efficiency. This works because we are identifying the energy sources as kinetic energy of the car motion, or potential energy of the car as it goes from higher elevation to lower elevation. The old ways tend to waste this energy (unless you drive in a very smart, and perhaps dangerous, way), while the new systems can recapture some of this wasted energy.
Thanks Steve. People like you that have some class and tact should be Super Moderators.

I started this thread. Therefore I believe I can ask for it to be locked.....

A certain "new" member here is insulting Moderators and trolling as he pleases...not nice. Said person is Sir this .....and just winding people up.... Pretending to be Polite and then biting.

And at 53 Years of age he should know better..... at the risk of my reputation going to hell...kick rc3po out. He is not helping anything.

Please.

tvtech

I started this thread. Therefore I believe I can ask for it to be locked.....

A certain "new" member here is insulting Moderators and trolling as he pleases...not nice. Said person is Sir this .....and just winding people up....

And at 53 Years of age should know better..... at the risk of my reputation going to hell...kick rc3po out. He is not helping anything.

Please.

tvtech

They are the ones winding things up. If you can't tell the truth then don't say anything.

Listen to me carefully rc3po...

You are trolling. You can take my Rep to hell if you want to.

Tomorrow morning the owner of this site will decide what happens next. He will be here around here @ maybe 10 to 12 AM tomorrow (South African) time.

In the meantime, find another Forum to play with.

Don't try it here.

tvtech

Listen to me carefully rc3po...

You are trolling. You can take my Rep to hell if you want to.

Tomorrow morning the owner of this site will decide what happens next. He will be here around here @ maybe 10 to 12 AM tomorrow (South African) time.

In the meantime, find another Forum to play with.

Don't try it here.

tvtech

Tell them that and stop trolling me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back