Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

People Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustaq

Hi...am Designing A People Counter And Bit Doubtful About The Type Of Sensor To Be Used.i Am Looking Forward To Use This Application In Wide Door Where Two To 3 People Can Enter Simultaneously.i Hav Solved This Issue By Placing The Sensor Vertically....would Like To More About The Senors That Can Be Used

mustaq said:
Hi...am Designing A People Counter And Bit Doubtful About The Type Of Sensor To Be Used.i Am Looking Forward To Use This Application In Wide Door Where Two To 3 People Can Enter Simultaneously.i Hav Solved This Issue By Placing The Sensor Vertically....would Like To More About The Senors That Can Be Used

How about strain gauge under a mat sized such as only one person's weight would register at any given time. Any weight signal over a certain amount could count as 1 person. just a thought.....

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
How about strain gauge under a mat sized such as only one person's weight would register at any given time. Any weight signal over a certain amount could count as 1 person. just a thought.....

Lefty

weight is not really a good idea in my opinion becasue how do you distinguish between a heavy person and two small children or people?

Only way i can see it to work would be to narrow the door /entrance so only one person can enter at a time

If you have a large entrance, it will be difficult to monitor the number of people entering if more than one person enters at the same time.

It really depends on how accurate you want your count to be. Perhaps divide up the entrance into sections so you can try and control the event where more than one person enters at one time.

As for sensors i would suggest ifra red

just suggestions for you...

Andy

Perhaps a sonar like acoustical array? You could track the individual signals and amplitude. Unless people enter hand in hand they're going to be traveling at different rates. You'd have to analyze the signal for a long period of time to determine how to code the program to figure out where the individual people were.

How about using a passive ir detector along with active ir detector. This would help me to differentiate between an object and human. But the major drawback is passive sensor would vary along with temperature.

Sceadwian said:
to determine how to code the program to figure out where the individual people were.

If accuracy is an absolute, then you must narrow the aperature so that one and only one object (person) passes the detector at a time. If that is not possible, then inferences must be made to allow for multiple passages occurring at the same instant.

For maximum accuracy when more than one person is considered, I would mount the detection equiment at just above ankle height and count legs. The total could then be divided by two, and rounded to an integer number, erring on the low side.

Attachments

• ppl count.JPG
    ppl count.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
You could instal posts at intervals that would allow one person between each set. Then sensors at each post pair would count the traffic, and a sum could be totaled. Gives you the benefit of a wide entrance, with the counting control you need.

I think your solution of installing sensors vertically is the best. Almost all other suggestions involve interfering with traffic.

If you use IR, the transmitters (or receivers) in the floor would be a problem. If you use ultrasonic, I think it could work well. Probably need one sensor every 6 inches.

You could also use a webcam, aimed at the entrance, a laptop and an intelligent software that can identify, count people entering...

The software would have to be intelligent enough to distinguish persons....

just an idea...

thanks
ab

ayodejiprecious said:
pls i need your help on my project title "dual beam people counter" both theory and circuit diagram

You should start your own thread for your own question instead of hijacking another thread.

People here are not likely to do your schoolwork for you. The whole point is that you do it, thereby learning something.

Torben

people counter

urgently i need help. i have stuck on this project, i don't mind to start all over again if someone can assidt ne with a working circuit diagram plsssssssssssss.also give ne website that can help to source material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back