Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Keyboard to a microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

mod_critical

Mosfet said:
There is a company called Semtech www.semtech.com which sells keyboard interface ICs.
I haven't used them but they bought a company called Usar, whose chip I used to interface the common PC keyboard to any serial port on a microcontroller. I have a 8052 micro with a 4 line LCD that I can program directly typing on a spare IBM keyboard.
Semtech has several keyboard interface chips, maybe one could help you. Regards.

Hey what chip is that? And will it work with a PS/2 keyboard? I want to build a program for my Rabbit Core 2000 that will read the input for a PS/2 magnetic card reader and unlock a door. Everything is pretty simple, except for getting the data from the card reader. I figured I'd just have to decode the PS/2 output, but I haven't really thought about it because of other projects. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said USAR isn't in existence any more and Semtech bought them out back in 1999.
The chip was a USAR Systems UR6HCPCS-P version 1.2.
It was a 40 pin chip that let me hook up a standard PC keyboard, the little 6 pin or big 5 pin connector.
Both are the same actually just a different connector.
It decoded the odd-ball IBM keyboard signals to standard serial.
Perfect for my 8052 microcontroller with it's serial input.
I mounted the 8052 & LCD in a kids metal lunch box and borrowed a PC keyboard wherever I went.

The Semtech page for keyboard encoders is:
**broken link removed**
It appears the new chips even handle USB keyboards.

Weren't old Apple II keyboards serial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back