Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oven reflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

januar1983

does anyone know about the oven reflow, i want make one for my final project in my university. if anyone have the article please help me. sory i'm indonesian so my english bad

To get you started:
**broken link removed**

SparkFun also has ALL the parts you need hiding on their website...maybe even a sample circuit...(but since you're in INdonesia you will probably have to find equivelant parts, but it gives you an idea of what you need).

Basically it comes down to this:
1. You need at least one thermocouple wire.
2. For every thermocouple, you need a cold-junction compensation IC to convert the thermocouple reading so that an MCU can use it.
3. You need an MCU to read the thermocouple reading.
4. And you need to be able to turn the oven on and off. You can use a relay or TRIAC. Either one will work. Relays are either on or off and simple to use. Triacs need some support circuitry like isolation circuitry (for saftey), but allow you to let varying power to the oven to have better control of the heating element.
-make sure your TRIAC or relay can handle the voltage and current your oven will pull and make sure your relay and TRIAC has the right voltage/current requirements so you can run drive it with your MCU (or a power transistor being driven by your MCU).

You can either open up the oven and hook the TRIAC or relay right between the main AC line and the heating element- this is dangerous if you do it wrong. You can stick the TRIAC or relay between the oven and the power outlet. When you do this method you turn the oven temperature to max so it will always stay on when the oven power is connected (ovens can reach temperatures a few times higher than what soldering needs so the thermostat should never kick in).

The rest is coding so that the MCU can control the relay/TRIAC based on the temperature being read.

Saftey first in this project- don't electrocute yourself by doing it wrong.

Last edited:
You could always just buy a toaster oven that has a built in thermostat... Or use an in-oven meat thermometer to find out what 'number' regulates to what temperature. A whole lot less complicated than a micro controller regulated toaster oven, which is overkill. The best addition you could do for a generic toaster oven is find some oven temperature safe circulating fan as it will get the board up to reflow temperature about 2-3 times as fast as the natural internal convection.

It's for his university project so I think they want a bit more than that, hehe. Anyways, the analog knobs on the oven are too imprecise anyways (and overshoot too much) and can toast the PCB too easily depending on what you are doing exactly unless you are sitting there watching it.

I needed a curing oven too which is 60C which no regular oven will do without mods :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back