Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old Philips educational slides

Status
Not open for further replies.

rizzo

Hello all!

I would like to find copies of excellent technical slides made by Philips years ago, about 1960 I think.
They where very good, and helped a lot the understanding of semiconductors and valves.

They where also very pleasant to see, showing the charges as little coulored spheres on black back. If you saw them probably you will remember of them.
The subject where:
- The crystal diode
- Principles of electron physics
- The tetrode and the pentode
- The cathode ray tube

I have a paper copy of some, they where published by an Italian magazine. Unfortunately I have not all of them.
And, more, I would like to use them to help a friend learning electronics, he is on the opposite part of the world, so I need them in electronic form.
Best of all, I would like to send him a link to a website where he can see them.

As the images are still very good today, and as they where made as educational support, I could not believe that Philips did not place them somewhere in their web site. But I searched, and was unable to find.

Now the question: did anybody see them in the web, or has he them in any form, or can he suggest me how to find? (I already tried to contact the Philips webmaster, but that link seems to be broken in the Philips site).

Thank you for any help!
Ezio Rizzo

I suggest you to search at www.abebooks.com

search "philips", "mullard", "elcoma", "valvo", "sylvania" ...

I found many old stuff here.

found (mullard = philips) :

Mullard reference manual of transistor Circuits 1960

Mullard Minibook Number 3 : Semiconductor Devices 1969

MULLARD RAPID VALVE GUIDE 1933/4

rizzo said:
Hello all!

I would like to find copies of excellent technical slides made by Philips years ago, about 1960 I think.
They where very good, and helped a lot the understanding of semiconductors and valves.

They where also very pleasant to see, showing the charges as little coulored spheres on black back. If you saw them probably you will remember of them.
The subject where:
- The crystal diode
- The cathode ray tube

I have a paper copy of some, they where published by an Italian magazine. Unfortunately I have not all of them.
And, more, I would like to use them to help a friend learning electronics, he is on the opposite part of the world, so I need them in electronic form.
Best of all, I would like to send him a link to a website where he can see them.

As the images are still very good today, and as they where made as educational support, I could not believe that Philips did not place them somewhere in their web site. But I searched, and was unable to find.

Now the question: did anybody see them in the web, or has he them in any form, or can he suggest me how to find? (I already tried to contact the Philips webmaster, but that link seems to be broken in the Philips site).

Thank you for any help!
Ezio Rizzo

Try looking for them in the "museum of obsolete electronic devices"
Careful though, it might be buried under 1000 feet of sand..
:lol:

I would not suggest this old kind of stuff as learning material to anyone.
It doesnt matter how well presented it is, it has little real value other than fundamental theory (for which you can find GOBS of great learning material)

He'll just get confused once he starts looking at real electronics made in the past 30 years.

One might argue that the concepts are the same. There is no doubt that is true. But set him off on the right foot! Much excellent and MODERN learning material exists today. Find some for your friend. He'll thank you when he starts using it in a practical sense.

I might get flamed by the ol-timers on here but hey it's my opinion!

:wink:

Thank you very much.
The keywords you suggested are indeed useful (I forgot about Mullard, and did not know of Valvo and Sylvania).
The site is quite interesting, though there are no slides there, it seems to be only for books.

Ezio

aProgrammer said:
I suggest you to search at www.abebooks.com

search "philips", "mullard", "elcoma", "valvo", "sylvania" ...

I found many old stuff here.

found (mullard = philips) :

Mullard reference manual of transistor Circuits 1960

Mullard Minibook Number 3 : Semiconductor Devices 1969

MULLARD RAPID VALVE GUIDE 1933/4

Optikon said:
rizzo said:
Hello all!

The subject where:
- The crystal diode
- The cathode ray tube

Thank you for any help!
Ezio Rizzo

Try looking for them in the "museum of obsolete electronic devices"
Careful though, it might be buried under 1000 feet of sand..
:lol:

I would not suggest this old kind of stuff as learning material to anyone.
It doesnt matter how well presented it is, it has little real value other than fundamental theory (for which you can find GOBS of great learning material)

He'll just get confused once he starts looking at real electronics made in the past 30 years.

One might argue that the concepts are the same. There is no doubt that is true. But set him off on the right foot! Much excellent and MODERN learning material exists today. Find some for your friend. He'll thank you when he starts using it in a practical sense.

I might get flamed by the ol-timers on here but hey it's my opinion!

:wink:

Thank you very much!
Well I could be one of those old-timers, as when the slides where published in Italy about in 1962, I already was messing with electronics...
I agree that components changed, but the slides on semiconductors where about very basic subjects, what is exactly what my friend lacks.

If you know of some inline good learning matherial on basic subjects, preferably based on images, could you please suggest some?

As for the museum, I was unable to find it. I only found a casual reference to the Smithsonian Institution, but in the Smithsonian site there is no mention of any "museum of obsolete".
Could you please give a link, or a different definition?

Thank again

Ezio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back