Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting Old camera display to light screen

Shinnen

I have a small clock about 5cms x 4cms with an LCD (no backlight), which is hard to read, especially at nights;
and I was thinking of removing the the screen from one of my old digital cameras and using it as a backlight, so that
I can read the clock more easily.
Can this be done?
Any help is appreciated.
.... john

I would have thought it's VERY unlikely it would be possible, as the displays will be completely different.

Best hope is to carefully check the clock display, an un-lit LCD panel if often jut a back-lit one with the LED's left out, you 'may' be able to add the LED's.

However, unless your watch repairing skills are top-notch you may have more chance of destroying it?.

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for your help.
..... john
There is likely not enough space between the LCD and the thin sheet metal back on the unlit display. The Camera's LED backlight is likely too thick. You can look for an electrochromic sheet to insert as the backlight. You'll need a driver but these drivers are available as a module on eBay/amazon. Most electrochromic sheets can be cut to size.

Hi ZipZap,
I was thinking that I could just glue the camera screen to back of the clock frame (which is about 1/2 cm from the LCD) apply the appropriate voltage, AA or, and it would provide a bright background in front of which the LED letters would show up. Am I over simplifying it?
..... john

Hi ZipZap,
I was thinking that I could just glue the camera screen to back of the clock frame (which is about 1/2 cm from the LCD) apply the appropriate voltage, AA or, and it would provide a bright background in front of which the LED letters would show up. Am I over simplifying it?
..... john
Most LCD displays have a stamped sheet metal "housing" around the backside so, even if there is a gap, you'll need to make sure there is no opaque material (e.g. sheet metal) on the back side of the display. If you do have a 5mm gap, you can just shine a light in there to see if light does go through and back lights the display. If it backlights, you should be good to go. If not, you'll need to remove a layer that may be blocking your light.

Good luck.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back