Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use RS 232 to control a old tv remote

JayJay132

Hi,

About two years ago, I built an arcade machine. It uses an old PC with Batocera (Linux) to emulate old arcade games through MAME, which are then displayed on an old CRT TV. The problem here is that I use the third source input on the TV, but every time the TV gets power, it starts at source 1. So, I need to change the source with the remote every time I start the arcade machine. In order to make this process a little bit better, I've soldered a button to the remote, which is located at the side of the arcade machine, that can also be used to change the source.

But I had the idea to make this step even simpler. So, I thought that it may be possible to use the RS232 port on the computer located in the machine to simulate the button press. For example, by switching another pin to ground and then connecting the ground pin and the one controlled by the software with the remote, and so creating a circuit. I have no idea if this is possible, but this was one idea I came up with.

So, my question would be: If this is doable, how would I do this on Linux? And if it's not possible, is there another way to solve my problem?

Thanks,

Jannis

There are simple methods to do remote wireless on off switch with ESP8266 solution.

Google "remote control switch esp8266"

Regards, Dana.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back