old ocilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Bruce

I have a chance to buy an old HP1740A scope, locally, no shipping etc. This scope is about 35 years old and apparently is working well. I don't think his asking price ($375)
is realistic given the age and specs. Do any of you have experience with this unit?
Bruce in the Peg

I would say that price is entirely UNREALISIC - perhaps if you moved the decimal point one or two places left?

Checking on Ebay, 'buy it now prices' seem to vary between $90 and $150.

Do any of you have experience with this unit?
I used one of these scopes at work in the early 1980s, it was a very good scope.
It would make for an excellent "hobby" scope even today.
However, there are parts in there which are now unobtainium, I remember a thread on here in the past year discussing replacement of failed ICs in the Y amplifier - difficult to find.
The price seems rather high, $150 - $200 would probably be ok if it was in very good condition.

JimB

On a good day it's about a $100 scope. For the asking price you could do better, much better. I think $150 to $200 is being very generous. However, your call.

Just My Take
Ron

I would have to agree with Reloadron; $100.00 CAN seems more reasonable than $375.00 CAN.

To give you an idea - this past year I have purchased two different scopes:

1. Tektronix 2213 (dual-channel, 60 MHz - factory calibrated with docs); IIRC, I paid $150.00 USD for it.
2. Fluke PM3380 CombiScope (dual-channel, 100 MHz, DSO - factory calibrated); I paid $200.00 USD for it.

Perhaps I should've saved my money, added $100.00 USD and got a Rigol? Ultimately, I think that both of these scopes were priced fairly, considering the manufacturers of both are well known quality brands (and I later got a matching cart stand from a fellow Electro-Tech forum member for the Tek!).

Last edited:
You can often find a fully-loaded Tektronix 7904 (500MHz) for around $500. As most have said, most high-end portable scopes of the 1970s and 1980s are in the area of $150. The Tek 2465 often goes for $400 and $500, but it's a really nice analog scope with digital control -- and includes some unobtainium ICs as a bonus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…