Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

old ocilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Bruce

I have a chance to buy an old HP1740A scope, locally, no shipping etc. This scope is about 35 years old and apparently is working well. I don't think his asking price ($375)
is realistic given the age and specs. Do any of you have experience with this unit?
Bruce in the Peg

I would say that price is entirely UNREALISIC - perhaps if you moved the decimal point one or two places left? :D

Checking on Ebay, 'buy it now prices' seem to vary between $90 and $150.

Do any of you have experience with this unit?
I used one of these scopes at work in the early 1980s, it was a very good scope.
It would make for an excellent "hobby" scope even today.
However, there are parts in there which are now unobtainium, I remember a thread on here in the past year discussing replacement of failed ICs in the Y amplifier - difficult to find.
The price seems rather high, $150 - $200 would probably be ok if it was in very good condition.

JimB

On a good day it's about a $100 scope. For the asking price you could do better, much better. I think $150 to $200 is being very generous. However, your call.

Just My Take
Ron

I would have to agree with Reloadron; $100.00 CAN seems more reasonable than $375.00 CAN.

To give you an idea - this past year I have purchased two different scopes:

1. Tektronix 2213 (dual-channel, 60 MHz - factory calibrated with docs); IIRC, I paid $150.00 USD for it.
2. Fluke PM3380 CombiScope (dual-channel, 100 MHz, DSO - factory calibrated); I paid $200.00 USD for it.

Perhaps I should've saved my money, added $100.00 USD and got a Rigol? Ultimately, I think that both of these scopes were priced fairly, considering the manufacturers of both are well known quality brands (and I later got a matching cart stand from a fellow Electro-Tech forum member for the Tek!).

Last edited:
You can often find a fully-loaded Tektronix 7904 (500MHz) for around $500. As most have said, most high-end portable scopes of the 1970s and 1980s are in the area of $150. The Tek 2465 often goes for $400 and $500, but it's a really nice analog scope with digital control -- and includes some unobtainium ICs as a bonus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back