Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

noob capacitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buellboy

Hi all, please excuse the noobie question, but I've searched high and low for a definitive answer and have found very little. So the question is...
Can a plastic box type cap be substituted with a ceramic cap of the same value? It probably depends somewhat on the circuit, so lets say for a control board on a dc to ac inverter.

A ceramic capacitor is excellent at high frequencies. A DC to AC inverter might operate at high frequencies. But a ceramic capacitor has a wide range for its value (its tolerance) and its value changes with temperature change so it makes an inaccurate frequency in an oscillator.

A metalized plastic film capacitor is in a plastic box or is an Oriental "green cap" in an epoxy drop shape and is very good for audio and can have a tight tolerance for an accurate oscillator frequency.

I like the example.

But which ones are we talking about.

Attachments

• capacitors.JPG
    capacitors.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 298
Almost all audio coupling capacitors are PET metalized polyester film type.
I haven't seen paper or polystyrene capacitors for about 35 years.

This is for a board that controls the gates on a MOSFET inverter. dc to ac. I'm guessing that it would be pretty high frequency. So the ceramic caps are good with high freq but not precise enough? Ok. So are the box type and epoxy drop interchangeable? Having trouble finding the value I need in a box type.

Last edited:
I buy EPCOS metalized film boxed capacitors usually in 5% tolerance and nearly any value that is made.

Attachments

• Epcos capacitors.jpg
    Epcos capacitors.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 293
I buy EPCOS metalized film boxed capacitors usually in 5% tolerance and nearly any value that is made.

I've seen these used before; when I work with a Military Contractor. The circuit boards were very robust.

I like the small European Epcos ones instead of the larger Oriental "green caps".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back