Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limanima

Hi,

This is my first post, and I should start by saying that I know nothing about electronics. I'm a computer programmer.

What I would like to know, is how can I control an electric engine (starting/stopping and controling the speed) from my computer.
I just want to connect the engine to the computer and control it by software.

Can someone please point me out some direction?

ty

On off and direction requires an H-Bridge. You can find info on them here in many posts. Search for H-Bridge. Google is good too.

Speed control requires Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) which is most often done with a uC in software or hardware. Again see above sources.

The H-Bridge design depends on the motor type and the current you need to handle. If you let us know that we may be able to give you some places to look.

EDIT: And Welcome.

Last edited:
I, I'm back again.

I've done some reading, and I'm starting to get an idea of what I'm going to need to control the motor (wich can be DC, servo or stepped).
I'll have to make an H-Bridge circuit, or better, I can buy a microprocessor do to the job (I think I'm going to choose this 2nd option). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now I have another question:

How can I measure the distance between my robot and a point in distance? Is there any component I can buy that will do this job? Is this IR or ultra-sound?
I'm going to need to get the readed data to my computer. The measurements should be precise.

ty

Last edited:
I think your question about measurement is going to be tough to answer particularly as it relates to precision. There have been many posts to this forum on the subject.

I had another idea to measure distances.
For what I intend to do, I can use 2 web cams. It will be a lot more simpler, and it will be precise.

ty

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back