Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5eon

This resistor is open circuit so I'm assuming it's failed. First off am I right in thinking it is a 22k? I'm assuming that third band is orange but it looks pink! Second how can I check or calculate the wattage? If it helps it's on a 240 volt extractor fan.

I presume you're just randomly checking components to try and find why it doesn't work?.

This isn't how you repair things, and it's VERY unlikely that a resistor failure would stop a fan working.

You haven't (perhaps can't?) posted a picture, so we've no idea what component you might be referring to, but it might well not be a resistor anyway - other components can look very similar.

It's a timer circuit that I'm looking at and when powered up there's 240v on the left hand side of the resistor but nothing on the other side.

Attachments

• DSCF1557.JPG
    DSCF1557.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
Lift/de-solder one side of it and measure its resistance.

Regards, Dana.

The wire to one end of the resistor looks green. Has there been some water damage? Show a picture of the copper side of the board.

It's a timer circuit that I'm looking at and when powered up there's 240v on the left hand side of the resistor but nothing on the other side.
It's more likely that the zener has gone S/C, either do as Danadak suggests (remove one and actually check the resistor), or check if the zener (or something else) is S/C by measuring across the zener (zener ref. 103).

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back