Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to Ignition Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
An electric fence should not give off sparks. If they did the first place they sparked to would disable the rest of the fence. The fence wire needs to be kept away from vegetation and well insulated from the fence posts. Even if the posts are wood.

An electric fence should not give off sparks. If they did the first place they sparked to would disable the rest of the fence. The fence wire needs to be kept away from vegetation and well insulated from the fence posts. Even if the posts are wood.

I agree. Good insulation is absolutely essential for it to work.

The OP still hasn't answered about the type of fence, that I know of....?

When you mishmash everything.

1. There are dry and oil insulated transformers. If oil exists for auto, i don;t know.

There is the old coil of yesteryear used with a One coil for an engine multiple plugs.

Then there is the 2 coil per plug design. One fires in the exhaust stroke.

There may be a coil per plug design, for single and 3 cylinder engines for instance and possibly for some other designs such as racing, and aircraft (speculating on the latter). Engines that can shut down cylinders as part of their design would also require more control.

1. There are dry and oil insulated transformers. If oil exists for auto, i don;t know.

Yes there are oil-insulated ignition coils for automobiles, but I don't believe that is the style the OP has.

There is the old coil of yesteryear used with a One coil for an engine multiple plugs.

He shows an image of the type of ignition coil he has in post #1.

There may be a coil per plug design, for single and 3 cylinder engines for instance and possibly for some other designs such as racing, and aircraft (speculating on the latter). Engines that can shut down cylinders as part of their design would also require more control.

I don't believe that's the type the OP has, according to the image.

Some of those were oil

I think you mean 2 plugs per coil. There is a spark plug connected to each end of the HT winding, and on engines with even numbers of cylinders, both cylinders that have pistons at the top are fired. The one under compression ignites, and the one that is just at the end of the exhaust stroke does nothing.

A lot of normal cars have a coil on top of each plug. I was working on a 2002 Audi that had that. It avoids the need for HT leads at all, and with overhead cam designs, the well for the spark plug is so deep that the whole coil can fit in there. With a coil elsewhere, the HT connector needs to be padded out so that it is fits the spark plug well or it would be impossible to fit, so they might as well make the coil where there would otherwise be padding.

There is no point in turning the sparks off on unused cylinders. The fuel has to be turned off or the efficiency and emissions would be terrible, and if there is no fuel, the sparks won't do anything so they could be left running with no consequences.

Derstrom8:

I was trying to address the issues pointed out in post #8.

I have gotten HUGE sparks (> 12 inches) from an automotive ignition coil, but that was 35 years ago driving it with an oscillator around 200-300 Hz or so. That was when I had time, no money and little responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back