Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help finding lens or reflector for 4 ir led on one 20mm star

Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps use a diffuser but this would seriously impact the light output. I've seen many LED torches like this and the die shapes were always visible in the focused light output, in one I could even see the bond wires.

The only way I can see a reflector being useful is if the LEDs are aimed directly at the reflector. Is that the intention?

And i put it in a housing that has zoom and what i get is 4 squares too far away one from another, how can i get thees 4 squares to be all in one ?

My interpretation of that phrase is that the TS wants a single, probably very narrow, collimated beam with the summed intensity of all four IRED's. Simple reflectors and lenses might focus the 4 IRED's on a point, but doing even that will require a bit more complex geometry than a single plane mirror. The link I gave describes one way to possibly do it. Theoretically, one might also use a medium that fluoresces in the infrared, but the quantum yield for compounds I checked is very low and would negate the value of having more than just one IRED..

The TS needs to make clear what he wants.

John

My interpretation of that phrase is that the TS wants a single, probably very narrow, collimated beam with the summed intensity of all four IRED's. Simple reflectors and lenses might focus the 4 IRED's on a point, but doing even that will require a bit more complex geometry than a single plane mirror.

I want exactly that.

You cant get a single beam with 4 leds behind a single lens. As you have seen they diverge. You would be better off using 4 discrete leds each with their own lens.
The reflector design would also be problematic without some pretty precise machining, although a setup similar to one of the larger telescopes (but in reverse) with a curved mirror and lens might be do-able. Even that would take some considerable effort though.

i tried with four small laser lenses, but its not good the magnification is to big and the beam does not go far.
i also find a 4 led reflector but to big, i think the reflector is the best solution, but i need to find a proper size.
i also tried with one big reflector that i cut to get it in focus and that was best so far but the light is diverging again after 20-30 meters.

and neophyl can you explain that telescope idea please ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back