Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NE556N Dual Timer, Step & Direction Generator (Stepper Motor Driver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Nading

Hello all, I was hopeful someone here might have and want to share a schematic, using a NE556N dual timer to control step & direction on a stepper motor driver. That one could change the pulse frequency output, the output duration and speed with potentiometers. Also change direction with limit switches. I want to build a machine but don't want to use a computer to control it. I have seen this circuit for sell but would like to build it instead of buying 3 or 4. Thanks in advance, Jeff.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Steppe...e-Generator-/331181788309?hash=item4d1bf90c95

Have you searched on: 555 stepper motor controller

There are numerous designs. Are you specifically looking for someone here who has built a 555-based stepper driver? Why do you not want to use a microcontroller?

John

Well, the 556 would I think give a little more control. I have looked at the 555 circuit and it should work, but really leaning toward the 556 as it will have the versatility I am looking for. Just checking to see if someone here has either built one or can steer me in the right direction to this end. Thank you for inquiring.

Not sure I understand you related to versatility but a very simple micro properly programmed could be really versatile.

Well, the 556 would I think give a little more control. I have looked at the 555 circuit and it should work, but really leaning toward the 556 as it will have the versatility I am looking for. Just checking to see if someone here has either built one or can steer me in the right direction to this end. Thank you for inquiring.
Designs using the 555 are easily converted to using a 556 and visa versa. The chips are electronically identical, except the 556 is two 555's with common power pins. I used the term "555" generically to mean either chip.

To suggest that a 556 based design would be more versatile doesn't make much sense. At best, the space saving is quite small, and if you use the SMD versions, it is even less. What do you need to do with a 556 that two 555's can't do?

I agree with atferrari about using a micro, if you really want versatility, such as changing from full steps to half steps, etc.

John

Designs using the 555 are easily converted to using a 556 and visa versa. The chips are electronically identical, except the 556 is two 555's with common power pins. I used the term "555" generically to mean either chip.

To suggest that a 556 based design would be more versatile doesn't make much sense. At best, the space saving is quite small, and if you use the SMD versions, it is even less. What do you need to do with a 556 that two 555's can't do?

I agree with atferrari about using a micro, if you really want versatility, such as changing from full steps to half steps, etc.

John
Yes, I knew this about the "dual timer", as explained in the title of this post, not meaning any disrespect at all. As you more than likely have guessed by now, I am not an electronics guru and why I am asking for help. I have in the past built many other circuits, but have always had a schematic. My You Tube channel here you might find of some interest,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5MWkMsbXeqTSQGihR0is1Q
It makes sense to me though, for added versatility, the old adage two heads are better than one, two 555 IC's are better than one= 556, maybe I am all wet in this thinking. This is what was used in the eBay link above, (in my first post) and why my thinking was steered in this direction. I understand what you both are relaying to me and I sincerely thank you both for this information. It's just the fact that I have in my possession a few 556 IC's and I think most of the surrounding components looking at the eBay link above. Although the micro processor would be the best solution and by far having versatility, you would have to program it, connect to a computer, find a program, upload it, then set it up. I am just looking for the simple solution, with what I all ready have to work with, to where I can build 3 or 4 for myself and call it a day. I had performed a search here, someone else had been looking for a solution using the 555 IC, was really never helped or has never posted an end result. I would like to go a step further utilizing the 556 IC and post all findings here. So I believe, if there were a complete schematic posted here, of the 556 with the surrounding components with all the values, it would indeed help many others who are looking for this same solution as I am. So any help you could offer to this end would be truly appreciated, thank you both, Jeff.

using a NE556N dual timer to control step & direction on a stepper motor driver.
Can you post a link to the datasheet of the driver itself?

We are obviously not communication well. I can't find anywhere in the title for this thread or in your first post any indication that you knew the 556 was simply two 555's. Timers are quite common devices.

Moving along, are you asking for help designing a 556-based controller de novo, do you want help selecting such a design (if it exists), have you already picked the design you want to follow and need help getting started, or is there a design for the 555 that you like and you want to adapt it to the 556?

John

Can you post a link to the datasheet of the driver itself?
Using this circuit you could use the gecko 203 or most any other gecko drive, any drive having step and direction connection pins. Even the 3d printer drives will have the step and direction connection pins.

Additionally, are the steppers you need to control bipolar or unipolar?

John

We are obviously not communication well. I can't find anywhere in the title for this thread or in your first post any indication that you knew the 556 was simply two 555's. Timers are quite common devices.

Moving along, are you asking for help designing a 556-based controller de novo, do you want help selecting such a design (if it exists), have you already picked the design you want to follow and need help getting started, or is there a design for the 555 that you like and you want to adapt it to the 556?

John
Well John I don't know how to answer your question other than to say, to me the word DUAL in the title is or refers to two 555 timers. NE556N Dual Timer, Step & Direction Generator (Stepper Motor Driver) and have already stated what I am looking for. Maybe we are talking semantics I don't know and let me just say, I'm not here to upset anyone, if I have upset you in any way I am sorry, just trying to find a schematic to follow, thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stepper-Motor-Speed-Pulse-Controller-and-Driver-Board/320914748007?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid=555012&algo=PW.MBE&ao=2&asc=20131003150253&meid=4bf574c7d8b747f7bef8e5f9b04a510a&pid=100034&rk=4&rkt=8&mehot=pp&sd=331090522121

There is alot cheaper in china.

You mentioned buying 3 or 4, is this one machine or 3 or 4 machines? If you want a 3-4 axis control system without a pc or micro you are making life hard
Not trying to make things hard, it's what ever I would need at the time, just look upon it as a means to an end. Have seen this one and does not have some of the control I want. Thanks for the info.

any drive having step and direction connection pins
What are the driver input pin specs? Voltage? Impedance? Logic family? Maximum data rate? Is the direction control simply one of two DC levels, or is it a pulsed signal or encoded in some way?

Ok so how many machine or axis? I know you are focussed on using a 556 and no will stop you, BUT people cant help much until they understand what your trying to do. You say your not a electronics guru (nor am i), but many here are. So they ask this information because often someone will coming looking for something they are SURE is what they need/want and end up leaving with something that is easier and better, this only happens when you give the answers to questions so people can get a picture in there heads of what your trying to do. Personally I dont get any of it but I can be a bit slow, so start at the top. How many machines and how many steppers? what is the machine trying to do and what drivers etc are you connecting to?

oooo did you see A sneak in there before me? :p

Ok, here is an example of a step pulse direction generator board I would like to build
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Steppe...e-Generator-/331181788309?hash=item4d1bf90c95
If you look at the photo you will see the 556 IC.
You connect the 556 IC board to the step and direction pins of a stepper driver board, then connect a stepper to the driver board. At that point connecting 5 volts to the 556 IC board, what ever voltage is needed to run the driver board and stepper motor connected. From this you can run the stepper at a rated speed with potentiometer control and manual direction switch or limit switches. This is not necessarily running a traditional CNC 3 or 4 axis machine. You can use this little board to run the cross feed on a lathe or milling machine, one axis only, without using a computer or setting up software to run a micro processor. So it's a more manual option, but will save time when you can set up limit switches on a mill to run multiples of the same job or process, frees your hand to do other work involving the same job or process. I am a bit slow at times to and sorry if I have offended anyone, was not my aim at all. I have built more than a few CNC machines 3d printers to large plasma tables, made my own castings for them machined them as well. I built my own metal cutting lathe and own a mill. So this is my aim to set up my lathe and mill to have some what auto movement. The specs of driver boards do vary, I am away from my shop at the moment so I can post specs latter if need be, thanks guy's Jeff.

Why not use one of these drivers (Or similar.) and use an NE555 to generate the clock pulse. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TB6560-3...tor-Drivers-/350922320630?hash=item51b499aaf6
To build one from scratch you need to build two H bridges and a PWM method of controlling the current through the winding. If you just build a driver were the current is only limited by the winding resistance then the maximum stepping rate will be very low due to the inductance of the windings limiting the rate of rise of the current with a small available drive voltage.

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back