Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NE556N Dual Timer, Step & Direction Generator (Stepper Motor Driver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not use one of these drivers (Or similar.) and use an NE555 to generate the clock pulse. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TB6560-3...tor-Drivers-/350922320630?hash=item51b499aaf6
To build one from scratch you need to build two H bridges and a PWM method of controlling the current through the winding. If you just build a driver were the current is only limited by the winding resistance then the maximum stepping rate will be very low due to the inductance of the windings limiting the rate of rise of the current with a small available drive voltage.

Hi Les, I'm not wanting to build a driver, or am I not understanding your meaning?

Here is the description of the linked example of the type of board I want to build. They are actually stating this board will work on just about any stepper driver is my take on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Steppe...e-Generator-/331181788309?hash=item4d1bf90c95

This is a must have device for those of you in CNC. This is a handy little STEP and DIRECTION signal Generator 1-3/4"w. X 3"l. X 7/8"t. It is easy to use, connect on-to your step and direction inputs and your signal ground inputs on your driver board. Turn the switch on and the motor will turn if your driver is working. It has a reversing switch, and two pots to tune the step pulse width and the step pulse rate. This is what we use on our Work-bench to test stepper and servo motor driver setups to see if they work, And it can be used stand-alone without a computer to run various motor driver systems. Hook it up, turn it on and spin your motors forward or reverse, fast or slow, long or short, simply by turning the pulse frequency output pot, or using the direction switch, or the on and off switch, all handily located on the top side of the board for easy use and access. Comes complete with manual, and Schematic.

This is NOT a stepper motor Driver, it is a step signal generator to send step pulse signals and direction signals to your stepper or servo motor driver (servo drivers that accept step and dir.), to either run them outright, or to verify that your drivers work and will run motors.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
Here is a schematic for a pulse generator that uses two NE555's but you could also use a single 556.
https://www.electricalbasicprojects...-fixed-and-variable-pulse-waveform-generator/
You need to scroll down to the heading "Variable Pulse Generator Circuit Operation"
You would probably not need to switch between different capacitor values for your purpose. The output from this would go to the step input of the driver . You would just need a switch to set the direction input to zero or 5 volts to change the direction. You could also have a switch connected to the enable input of the driver module to stop and start the stepper motor. (Again setting the input to either zero or + 5 volts)

Les.

wrong thread sorry

Hi Jeff,
Here is a schematic for a pulse generator that uses two NE555's but you could also use a single 556.
https://www.electricalbasicprojects...-fixed-and-variable-pulse-waveform-generator/
You need to scroll down to the heading "Variable Pulse Generator Circuit Operation"
You would probably not need to switch between different capacitor values for your purpose. The output from this would go to the step input of the driver . You would just need a switch to set the direction input to zero or 5 volts to change the direction. You could also have a switch connected to the enable input of the driver module to stop and start the stepper motor. (Again setting the input to either zero or + 5 volts)

Les.
Thanks Les, I'll check it out.

Hi Jeff,
The first 555 is a low frequency astable with a variable duty cycle that gates the second 555 on and off. The second 555 is also an astable with variable duty cycle. This is basically a PWM controlling the current through the rotor of the alternator which results in the power output being controlled. My opinion is that the designer does not understand electrolysis properly. Pulsing the power to the cells serves no purpose so the first 555 is not needed. The rate of production on hydrogen and oxygen is directly proportion to the current flowing through the cells.

Les.

Who would have thought a 555 timer would finally break the laws of thermodynamics and save the world with free energy!! Just think what Myers could have done with a Micro!!
I split water last year in Chemistry, we didnt do it correctly as our measurements agreed with modern physics so clearly we did something wrong! Actually I do alot of electro chemistry these days, its a good way to produce Hydrogen or oxygen for certain reactions. It can be slow but its a nice cheap and controlled way to generate small amounts of gas. I have also done alot of other electro chemistry like building a Chlorate/Perchlorate cell. Its also great for making fine copper powder, if you need it ball milling then at least your starting with a pretty fine powder to start with. I am not so keen on ball milling, I had a small batch of charcoal and sulphur go bang. Stupid to mill together in the first place!

Hi Jeff,
The first 555 is a low frequency astable with a variable duty cycle that gates the second 555 on and off. The second 555 is also an astable with variable duty cycle. This is basically a PWM controlling the current through the rotor of the alternator which results in the power output being controlled. My opinion is that the designer does not understand electrolysis properly. Pulsing the power to the cells serves no purpose so the first 555 is not needed. The rate of production on hydrogen and oxygen is directly proportion to the current flowing through the cells.

Les.
I agree with you Les, after building the circuit (with out the alternator) and testing it, I as much as proved that the circuit did not work as thought or suggested. I used the circuit for other applications, not water related, learned a bit.

Who would have thought a 555 timer would finally break the laws of thermodynamics and save the world with free energy!! Just think what Myers could have done with a Micro!!
I split water last year in Chemistry, we didnt do it correctly as our measurements agreed with modern physics so clearly we did something wrong! Actually I do alot of electro chemistry these days, its a good way to produce Hydrogen or oxygen for certain reactions. It can be slow but its a nice cheap and controlled way to generate small amounts of gas. I have also done alot of other electro chemistry like building a Chlorate/Perchlorate cell. Its also great for making fine copper powder, if you need it ball milling then at least your starting with a pretty fine powder to start with. I am not so keen on ball milling, I had a small batch of charcoal and sulphur go bang. Stupid to mill together in the first place!

Well LG, I don't know about breaking the laws of thermodynamics, all I do know is that Stan had something and there are many around the globe reverse engineering his invention. I am a moderator on a few other forums and have personally talked with several I know who are on the brink of cracking that egg. I have seen their equipment, their applications, their experiments, read Stan's Patents enough to know, they are very close.

Last edited:
Well, the 556 would I think give a little more control. I have looked at the 555 circuit and it should work, but really leaning toward the 556 as it will have the versatility I am looking for. Just checking to see if someone here has either built one or can steer me in the right direction to this end. Thank you for inquiring.

Never was clear on what you meant by that, but now I know.

John

Well LG, I don't know about breaking the laws of thermodynamics, all I do know is that Stan had something and there are many around the globe reverse engineering his invention. I am a moderator on a few other forums and have personally talked with several I know who are on the brink of cracking that egg. I have seen their equipment, their applications, their experiments, read Stan's Patents enough to know, they are very close.
It depends how you make and use it, I have tried because I was interested and the following is based on that.

IF you have say an extra battery and use that to produce gas, you can feed the gas into a engine (was a 4 stroke generator for me) and you save some petrol (well obviously). But the saving is only because its cheaper to use electric to make gas than the price of petrol.

If you use the generator OR another alternator (I tried both) connected to the machine your feeding gas into, then you save nothing. Also I noticed that HHO wasnt great for the engine, if you split water and feed HHO in an engine and burn it you get............ Water, water isnt great for an engine, What I did find was a bit more power from feeding just the oxygen in, but I couldnt produce enough to keep up with revs. When I used more current and got some more Oxygen I used more petrol.
So yes you cant argue against it if you use an outside source to generate the gas, after all your adding the outside power to the engine so using less petrol. But that is way different from claiming a closed system can somehow give a net gain or something for nothing.
Often things look like they work because people dont understand the underlying mechanism, a great example was a you tube video with a demo of a special electric engine that took 12V and made 35V!! It was a super coil thing but basically a motor that floated on magnets. What the guy was excited about was the fact that he was feeding 12V in and could measure 35V on the output mosfet's.
What he didnt understand was he was measuring the inductive spike as he didnt have flyback diodes! But had he measured current instead of voltage he would have realized he wasnt gaing anything in terms of saving. But again I do think if you had a ultra efficient solar panel roof on a car then you could power a HHO cell from that and save a small amount of fuel, but your not gaining anything as such. All that happens is your turning an external power source (sunlight) into energy (electric) and using that energy to make a gas, as you feed that gas in of course you use less petrol!
But the fact remains if you use the cars alternator or even a extra one added to the engine to make the gas you use more petrol, I noticed the more gas I produced (higher current needed) the harder the engine worked(more revs needed to compensate from the alternator), as I said mine was a generator but the same works on a car. The best saving I have made by far was for our tiny tractor, I now use converted waste veg oil and mix with 20% red diesel. I save money in red diesel but it costs to make the bio fuel and it takes time, but there is a overall gain cost wise.
Simply looking at chemistry will show why it dosnt work with HHO, you use energy when you burn the gasses together and they make water. I cant remember the electron Volts and all the details but clearly there is a net loss. Shame it dosnt work as it would mean a secure energy future.

I already have the drivers, what I am looking for is step and direction control for the drivers, so a circuit utilizing the 556 IC to produce a pulse to the driver circuit. This circuit could be used to test drivers and stepper motors, also for break-in of CNC equipment movements.

I guess we're all talking about different things here. You say you have motor drivers, but you want something to change speed and direction. Then you talk about pulse length(PWM). Any stepper driver I'm familiar with only uses pulse frequency not pulse width. And direction is controlled by the signal being either high(a digital '1') or low (a digital '0').

A simple 555 astable timer with a pot to vary the frequency will do for the speed. No PWM needed or wanted by the motor driver.

I guess we're all talking about different things here. You say you have motor drivers, but you want something to change speed and direction. Then you talk about pulse length(PWM). Any stepper driver I'm familiar with only uses pulse frequency not pulse width. And direction is controlled by the signal being either high(a digital '1') or low (a digital '0').

A simple 555 astable timer with a pot to vary the frequency will do for the speed. No PWM needed or wanted by the motor driver.

Hello shortbus, the eBay link is where this information came from, I don't know off hand myself. I'll surely take your word for it, thanks.

It depends how you make and use it, I have tried because I was interested and the following is based on that.

IF you have say an extra battery and use that to produce gas, you can feed the gas into a engine (was a 4 stroke generator for me) and you save some petrol (well obviously). But the saving is only because its cheaper to use electric to make gas than the price of petrol.

If you use the generator OR another alternator (I tried both) connected to the machine your feeding gas into, then you save nothing. Also I noticed that HHO wasnt great for the engine, if you split water and feed HHO in an engine and burn it you get............ Water, water isnt great for an engine, What I did find was a bit more power from feeding just the oxygen in, but I couldnt produce enough to keep up with revs. When I used more current and got some more Oxygen I used more petrol.
So yes you cant argue against it if you use an outside source to generate the gas, after all your adding the outside power to the engine so using less petrol. But that is way different from claiming a closed system can somehow give a net gain or something for nothing.
Often things look like they work because people dont understand the underlying mechanism, a great example was a you tube video with a demo of a special electric engine that took 12V and made 35V!! It was a super coil thing but basically a motor that floated on magnets. What the guy was excited about was the fact that he was feeding 12V in and could measure 35V on the output mosfet's.
What he didnt understand was he was measuring the inductive spike as he didnt have flyback diodes! But had he measured current instead of voltage he would have realized he wasnt gaing anything in terms of saving. But again I do think if you had a ultra efficient solar panel roof on a car then you could power a HHO cell from that and save a small amount of fuel, but your not gaining anything as such. All that happens is your turning an external power source (sunlight) into energy (electric) and using that energy to make a gas, as you feed that gas in of course you use less petrol!
But the fact remains if you use the cars alternator or even a extra one added to the engine to make the gas you use more petrol, I noticed the more gas I produced (higher current needed) the harder the engine worked(more revs needed to compensate from the alternator), as I said mine was a generator but the same works on a car. The best saving I have made by far was for our tiny tractor, I now use converted waste veg oil and mix with 20% red diesel. I save money in red diesel but it costs to make the bio fuel and it takes time, but there is a overall gain cost wise.
Simply looking at chemistry will show why it dosnt work with HHO, you use energy when you burn the gasses together and they make water. I cant remember the electron Volts and all the details but clearly there is a net loss. Shame it dosnt work as it would mean a secure energy future.

I have to agree with you LG, for the most part this has been my experience as well, but I keep hoping, looking, sharing and experimenting. Here is a link to one of the open source forums I moderate over that you might find of interest
https://app.hydrofuel.ca/index.php
People aren't posting much, but their is a wealth of information and R Walker is the guy to watch. He has almost completed reverse engineering Stan's work. Another on the same forum has posted a video of a car idling on HHO.
Have you heard of an individual from Russia "Akula"or seen his YT videos, the electronics he uses to produce usable electrical energy?
There are many more, don't have a clue to how he's doing what he's doing, a potential difference makes some sense though . I am sorry for getting off topic here.

Last edited:
A while back I followed a you tube vid and made a generator that uses a couple of tin cans and small stream of water into each can, you lower the stream until the point where the drops separate. if the cans are standing in a plastic box and connected then you get electrons flowing to the sides of the cans and you can generate a couple thousand volts (static I guess). Looks cool and make you think you could power the world from old baked bean tins and some wire.............
If only it was that simple :D.
Then again I use a energy harvesting board from linear technology, it takes tiny amounts of power and you can run small micro boards with it, great for field work but not going to replace a nuclear power station. Bottom line for me is although I doubt anyone will discover anything that defies physics or logic, I also hope people dont stop trying! After all many great things have been discovered by accident or when the inventor was actually looking for something else (Flemming).
Interesting links BTW. Yeah sorry for going off topic :D

P.S I do know of a real way to get free energy but its illegal and really annoys the neighbors :D

I have been at this quite a while now as far as free energy devises go, and yes, talked to more than a few crazies that claim they have the answers and don't. But from all of this I can tell you two things for sure.
!. There are many more very educated people, working out of their small shop or garage on free energy devises than one would think all around the globe.
2. It's not going to be much longer before we see free energy devises take over.

You appear to be very immersed in "free energy" and refer to others as crazies. All of the insane people I have known were quite sincere in their beliefs, so your sincerity doesn't convince me.

What would be impressive is for you could answer my simple question of why you consider the 556 as being more versatile than two 555's. As for this thread, please describe why the suggestions that have been given won't fit your needs. As a start, please list your needs and describe what aspect(s) is/are not fulfilled by the suggestions. Relaxation oscillators like the 555 have been around for a very long time.

John

P.S I do know of a real way to get free energy but its illegal and really annoys the neighbors :D[/QUOTE]
I think I know what you are referring to LG, if it has to do with a Tesla coil. :D

Nah nothing as fancy as a Tesla coil, just a pair of heavy duty jump leads and a hole in the loft wall :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back