Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiplexed signals to drive large 7 segment leds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Eric and Mike,
Just out of curiousity, who is your favorite Premier League team? There arent a lot of real football fans around here in the states to talk about the Premier League with. I was also wondering, are stadiums like Old Trafford always sold out? It seems that way. Over here they have a hard time filling a stadium with 40,000 to watch American Football.

A sketch would be great. I really appreciate both your patience with my noobie status. I must admit this is the best forum I've seen in a long time!

hi djv,
I'll post a diagram over the weekend.

Cant help with the football question.:rolleyes:

A sketch would be great. I really appreciate both your patience with my noobie status. I must admit this is the best forum I've seen in a long time!

hi djv,
I'll post a diagram over the weekend.

Cant help with the football question.

Last edited:

Attachments

• LCDext2.png
    LCDext2.png
    92 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
That looks great Eric. Let me see if I understand the drawing. The multiplexed signal is also going to the 7407 chip which buffers the signal for each segment for the large display. From what I saw on the data sheets for a 7407 chip it can sink 40ma. I will have 8 5mm leds (2 pairs of 4in series) to make up each segment. If all segments on a paticular data line are active it would draw under 800ma. I dont think the 7404 can handle that. Is there something I should put in between the outputs of each dataline from the 7404before the large displays to handle the current?

Here is my way of driving large 7-segment LEDs. The MosFets are a bit overkill, but work well for any size display.

LED current is 700mA.

Boncuk

Attachments

• MULTIPLEXED-LED.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
That looks great Eric. Let me see if I understand the drawing. The multiplexed signal is also going to the 7407 chip which buffers the signal for each segment for the large display. From what I saw on the data sheets for a 7407 chip it can sink 40ma. I will have 8 5mm leds (2 pairs of 4in series) to make up each segment. If all segments on a paticular data line are active it would draw under 800ma. I dont think the 7404 can handle that. Is there something I should put in between the outputs of each dataline from the 7404before the large displays to handle the current?

hi djv,
This is the first time you have given the LED's as being 'high power' I was under the impression they where going to 'ultra bright', about 30mA.!

BTW: there is an important difference between 7407 and 74LS07 devices.

To cope with the 800mA load I would suggest N MOSFET's on the segment outputs and either P MOSFET's or pnp Darlington transistors on the digit drivers of the 74LS06's NB: this is now an inverting buffer.

the following mods are for:
Boncuk drawing as starting point.

A 74LS04 should be used between the ULN inputs and the PIC, this is to give a double inversion of the seg driver signal.

IIUC the digit drivers will also need inversion before the BS170's

Last edited:
Hi Eric,
Sorry about the confusion on the segment displays. Here is what I found for the array per segment. The counter display will have 4 x 7 segment displays showing(min:secs). The 10" displays will be homemade with each segment consisting of 8 leds. The specs for the indvidual leds is 20ma forward current & Vf of 1.5v. I used a led wizard program and it showed that each segment array would use 40ma. There is an attached pic from led wizard. So if all 4 segments of each display are on it would use 160ma, not 800ma like I originally thought. My bad. So since that is the case, would the last drawing from Boncuk be ok as is or does it still need modification? Thank for baring with me.

Attachments

• 2x4 array.JPG
    2x4 array.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Hi Eric,
Sorry about the confusion on the segment displays. Here is what I found for the array per segment. The counter display will have 4 x 7 segment displays showing(min:secs). The 10" displays will be homemade with each segment consisting of 8 leds. The specs for the indvidual leds is 20ma forward current & Vf of 1.5v. I used a led wizard program and it showed that each segment array would use 40ma. There is an attached pic from led wizard. So if all 4 segments of each display are on it would use 160ma, not 800ma like I originally thought. My bad. So since that is the case, would the last drawing from Bancuk be ok as is or does it still need modification? Thank for baring with me.

hi,
The current of 200mAish is more realistic. Are you sure about the 1.5V forward drop.?

Do you need another circuit.?

Attachments

• LEDfwd1.gif
    LEDfwd1.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Hi Eric,
I bought the leds from JAMECO part# LUR3833 and thats what it listed. I thought as you that foward voltages should be about 2.1 volts. Using that voltage it would be around 40ma. Is that correct? Any ciruit ideas are greatly appreciated and very welcome!

Attachments

• 4x8 array 2.1 v.JPG
    4x8 array 2.1 v.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I found this schematic for led displays. It shows a common cathode type disply. I need it for a common anode. Can I modify this for CA segments?

Attachments

• schematic.JPG
    schematic.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 393
I found this schematic for led displays. It shows a common cathode type disply. I need it for a common anode. Can I modify this for CA segments?

hi,
The voltage levels and sense are not suitable for your application.

hi,
I will modify one of my earlier clock circuits and post it tomorrow.:)

hi djv.

Have a look over this.
It was a 6 digit clock, chopped to 4 digit. OK.?:)

If you can get a HEF40098 i/c, the two 74LS04 could be replaced by one ic.

Attachments

• DJVclk1.gif
    DJVclk1.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
That looks pretty awesome.
I have plenty of 74ls04 chips so that will work.
My question is the ZTZ751 PNP transistor the same as a Farichild MPS751?
The specs are here https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/01/mps751.pdf
I believe it has enough (ummph) to handle the application.

I really want to thank you again for your help.

Another question I have is: will I be able to run the +5v signals for the Digit drivers and the individual segment lines from my hand held remote to the large fixed display that will house the circuitry you have supplied with a cable about 10 foot long? Or do I need to strengthen the signals from the microcontroller in my hand held remote to the large display?

Hi Eric,

That looks awsome.
I have a lot of 74ls04 ic's laying around. I do have a question about the ZTZ751 PNPs. I cant find them anywhere. The closest I could find was a spec sheet on a Fairchild MPS751, but I cant locate that chip anywhere. Is there another PNP transistor I could use?

Sorry about the double post. The one previous to this didn't show up till this morning.
By the way, I'm sure you figured out that both DJVs are me. I use one at home and one at work.

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

That looks awsome.
I have a lot of 74ls04 ic's laying around. I do have a question about the ZTZ751 PNPs. I cant find them anywhere. The closest I could find was a spec sheet on a Fairchild MPS751, but I cant locate that chip anywhere. Is there another PNP transistor I could use?

Sorry about the double post. The one previous to this didn't show up till this morning.
By the way, I'm sure you figured out that both DJVs are me. I use one at home and one at work.

hi,
Thats a typo it should read ZTX751. Can you get this.?

The MPS751 collector current is too low.

You require a current of approx 500mA min at a gain of 100.

Corrected the drawing, Iss2

EDIT: what power supply will you be using for this remote display. ?

Attachments

• DJVclk2.gif
    DJVclk2.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back