Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something to note, many companies will see PIC experience as nearly useless, as PICs are often seen as hobby-only devices (I'm speaking from experience here). Sure, it'll help to demonstrate that you have experience with embedded systems, programming, etc, but experience with ARM is much more valuable and it looks better on a resume.

You see an awful lot of PIC's in commercial equipment, probably more than any other individual manufacturer.

If you want huge power, massive memory etc. then you could use an ARM (or a high end PIC for that matter), but if you want a simple cheap processor then PIC's fit the bill nicely.

You see an awful lot of PIC's in commercial equipment, probably more than any other individual manufacturer.

If you want huge power, massive memory etc. then you could use an ARM (or a high end PIC for that matter), but if you want a simple cheap processor then PIC's fit the bill nicely.
You did, but to be fair in shear numbers ARM comes top. I dont know the break down but I know the figures changes around 6 ish years ago. My guess would be the numbers are skewed by things like the IPAQ/PDA revolution (ARM), then by far the biggest revolution is smart phones, pretty much all are ARM cores.

So numbers wise ARM is way ahead in terms of shear volume. BUT what I cant find is numbers for different appliances. So are pics in more types of products but actual chip in lower numbers. I have taken stuff apart for the last 6 years, finding a pic in a toaster was ace, but these days the same type of things like toasters, I now find newer 8051 chips.

Got to wonder why MC share price flat lined, and why the purchased ATMEL? Maybe they are getting away from the traditional niches and moving into another. I know some older cars used pics (hence CAN on alot of pics), but the more modern cars are ARM and non defined ECU chips. I got a ECU program kit to review, interesting that it has a JTAG interface, while pics also do JTAG, the bit of the ECU you mess with (settings wise) isnt a super powerful chip. So would that not suggest that they are no longer so PIC based?

I would love the real figures, it would really fit well with a design and manufacturer project, based around product evolution and change. But how do you go about getting accurate figures. Inst like to can server a FOIA on a company :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back