Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB X How do I make a release version?

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I want to make a release version of a program but can't find out how.
According to this page I simply press the run button. However, I'm on version 6.15 and the run button has been removed and anything that mentions production is grayed out, Like so,
1700795051718.png

Note, the debug options aren't grayed.
Anyone know how to do this?

Mike.
Edit, posted at microchip forums too

Attachments

• 1700794925159.png
    1700794925159.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Have you updated the XC compilers? I just looked at the MPLab 6.15 release info and it appears there are new compiler versions to go with it?

I've just installed 6.15 (updating from 6.00) and after letting it copy the settings & plugins from the older version and a couple of restarts, then re-selecting the correct compiler in the project properties, it all works as before.

(I use the CCS compiler, not the Microchip ones)

Yes, it does, but from the first screen shot it seems that v6.15 added a whole new "Production" menu item that changed things around.

Oddly, when I updated and told it to use my existing settings, it didn't add that "Production" menu to mine, but for MIke it did. Maybe it depends on how you answer that question when you do the install.

Oddly, when I updated and told it to use my existing settings, it didn't add that "Production" menu to mine,
The Production menu was already in 6.00 and I believe also 5.50, on my system?

I use it regularly to do quick non-debug builds for syntax checking as I work.

The Production menu was already in 6.00 and I believe also 5.50, on my system?
Really?

I've been using MPLABX since the beginning and have NEVER had that menu!
When I do the install I always tell it to import the existing settings of the current version, so maybe that's why.

If I feel brave I'll try doing a fresh install and not use that option (although I sort of like it the way it is).
Lord knows what else will change if I do that though. I think Forrest Gump must have been a lead MPLABX developer... "MPLABX is like a box of chocolates..."

I found this in the online info:

Note: See the Start Page, My MPLAB IDE>Extend MPLAB>Selecting Simple or Full-Featured Menus to see all available menus and menu items. Not all of these items will be applicable to embedded development.
Possibly that controls what menus appear?

I've not found it so far.. You can get the "Home page" via the help menu - possibly you have to log in to get further, or its now only an install-time option??

I did discover I still have V5.4 installed though, and that also had the production menu.

mplab_5v4.jpg

Interesting.

I still have v5.45 installed and here's what mine looks like (which is the same for all the versions I have)
Clipboard01.jpg

I can't find "Extend MPLAB" to change the menu items either. I'll look around.

I installed 6.15 the other day, on an old computer that I've upgraded to SSD and added more memory, and that has the normal green triangle 'play' button as all other installs I've done.

Interesting that 6.15 now re-supports the PK3 after they had dropped support on later versions.

I'm currently transferring some files over, so I'll check that it compiles OK a bit later.

Edit:

Just tried it, 'play' button is there, and works fine.

Last edited:
Fellow solderers, so whats the difference between 'run' green triangle' and 'program device for production' only ever used ' run'
( MPLABX 6 , linux.mint 21 )

Last edited:
I think?? that Program device for production re-uses the last built version, rather than recompiling each time.

The run button on mine just says I've not got a programmer connected. I use an ICD4, but only connect it while working on a project.

Turns out that the toolbar "shrinks" if it's not full window so "hides" some of the icons. Making it full screen and turning off some toolbar selections fixed it,
1701153760919.png

As for Production, as the "pause" toolbar button no longer exists and ctrl-alt 8 (Not F8) replaces it I used that to pause my program. WRONG, you must press stop debugging or no production menu items (or toolbar items) become active. If someone can explain the logic behind that decision I'll be forever grateful.

Microchip should be ashamed of themselves.

Mike.

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back