Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mplab-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arduino and Microchip are in different markets. However, if you compare Microchip stock performance to Atmel's, they are basically unchanged over the past 12 months. Microchip (MCHP) pays 3.29% dividends and has capitalization of $9.2B, while Atmel (ATML) pays 1.98% and has capitalization of $3.39B. Atmel is smaller, but neither seems to be eating the other's lunch. Still, 3.29% is a lot better than 1.98% dividends.

BTW, I, too, am frustrated by Microchip's lack of support for MPLAB 8.92 and the difficulty/impossibility of using MPLabX with Assembly.

John

Point about ardunio is that they wanted to use pic chips but unlike avr theres no conpiler that would let you use it as avr does. There are programs that use pics like the ardunio

IMO there are IP costs for the XC PRO level compilers so those can't be free because fees have to be paid for every copy. The latest 'free' version have more optimizations enabled to its getting better. For most hobby level projects the size and speed difference is marginal for a one off project but when you sell a million, 50 cents saved for a less capable chip on each device is a lot of money and spending $995 can save you a lot more than the compiler price.

Point about ardunio is that they wanted to use pic chips but unlike avr theres no conpiler that would let you use it as avr does. There are programs that use pics like the ardunio

That's ancient history in the chip biz roller-coaster. The Ardunio is a great system for getting started but it's very limited when you need to push the limits of what's possible with a chip.

Well im on my way to using Jalv2 with mplab x

I looked at it. Seems to be another PASCAL (more ADA like) based language. I'm a old Modula-2 guy so forced structured programming is a good thing, Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back