Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mounting stripboard/veroboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

What is the best way of mounting a strip/veroboard? I just want to use a nut and bolt to attach it to say some acrylic, so it is held firmly.

I think if I drill a hole through it I'll find it will crack. I do vaguely remember some kind of pins but I wouldn't know what to call them.

Thanks,

Antknee.

An interesting project!

I think I will drill the holes first and then solder the parts to the board and then mount using some pillars. Thanks both!

Those micro reamers do a nice job - they will definitly not crack the holes. Then again, a 3mm hole followed by a 4mm hole shouldn't either.

Andrew

I use epoxy-fiberglass Veroboard and stripboard. It doesn't stink, doesn't crack and doesn't warp like phenolic-paper cheap circuit board material.

I use both phenolic, and fiberglass boards. I drill them with a drill press and use either 4-40 or 6-32 threaded spacers, most are about 1/2" long. Sometimes I use M/F threaded spacers.

Last edited:
If I'm forced to drill a paper phenolic board, I get best results in a drill press:

- board clamped firmly (as near as possible to the hole),
- sharp drill,
- relatively high RPM,
- a very low feed rate.

For cleaner holes you could also put a piece of thin board over the top and bottom and clamp that as well, it prevents the 'blowout' mess that a drill tends to leave when it punches through and will help against chipping when you start the hole, the denser the board you use the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back