Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most Important Invention/Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
... World makes a bee-line for LG's house....
Great! I got loads of projects I could get finished then :D. I live on bacon sandwiches though, so if you dont like bacon...................

Sometimes with genius comes awkwardness. Lots of so-called "inventors" did not, in reality, invent the things for which they are known.
There is debate as to whether Leibniz or Newton invented Calculus for instance. I'm sure there are lots of examples.
Cheers re: visit but it might be a while. We are "doing" China this year (wifey was born in Hong Kong), and New Zealand is on the list...

Sometimes with genius comes awkwardness. Lots of so-called "inventors" did not, in reality, invent the things for which they are known.
There is debate as to whether Leibniz or Newton invented Calculus for instance. I'm sure there are lots of examples.
Cheers re: visit but it might be a while. We are "doing" China this year (wifey was born in Hong Kong), and New Zealand is on the list...
48 hour days are a result of too much energy and not being able to sleep much :D.

I I find it hard to believe Newton came up with calculus, or at least not entirely. When you look at work of Galileo and Pythagoras, considering how advanced they were I would of thought they did some of the ground work. No way to know really. Same with antibiotics and indeed modern times when the guy in charge of a research team, is often the one to get the credit.

Even more complicated when you get bolt on ideas, take the mobile phone. Who really did the most work? It could be argued that the invention of radio was actually more significant to the mobile phone being developed, than the actual use of RF technology to make a phone with it.
Ultimately without all the work done previously on RF phones would still be tin cans and strings.

History of science is fascinating, much of it discovered by curiosity and people ignoring the 'cant be done' mentality we as humans seem to cling too. Take over unity, breaks all the rules and is impossible, or is it simply impossible for now? While it wouldnt technically be over unity any more, what would happen if dark matter could be detected and eventually harnessed? No one can say very much about it at all at the moment, so for now we have no way of knowing if it could be a rule breaker or not.

Its pretty recent that we discovered black holes littered the universe, there must be so much we have yet to discover. My favourite invention has to be the steam engine, second would be the water mill and hydro stuff. My least favourite is the international space station, so huge it seems to dominate the sky when in view.

Umm, I believe Dark Matter is no longer thought to be a thing.
I also read recently that calculus existed long, long ago, I'm not sure which civilisation had it (maybe China?), but it was Old anyway.
Ooh ooooh, Over Unity. Pick your sides folks, let the flames begin... Zero point energy is thought to exist, but we just don't have a means to access it. John Bedini might disagree...
Seriously though LG, I admire you, I truly do :)

Dark matter does exist! I proved that making toast this morning :D. Over unity keeps google afloat with videos and ad revenue on Utube :D. John Bedini........ He either totally barking or a genius beyond comprehension, unfortunately his use of bicycle wheels makes me lean towards the totally barking side.

I have been following the Marianas trench and NOAH expedition down there, You can watch the live feeds when the sub goes down. Some utterly stunning discoveries down in the deeps. Must be loads left to discover, learning is the greatest discovery of all. I dont like school much, but I love learning new things. I am learning to sew so I can make Barbie clothes with my little sister.......Probably should have kept that to myself though :oops:

I am learning to sew so I can make Barbie clothes with my little sister
I feel scarred by that mental picture of you and little sisters Barbie dolls.

Look on the bright side, it is good practice for making frilly lace curtains for your shed.

JimB

I feel scarred by that mental picture of you and little sisters Barbie dolls.

Look on the bright side, it is good practice for making frilly lace curtains for your shed.

JimB
Over unity will happen before my shed gets frilly curtains! :p

Your little sister must be really, really little if you are making barbie clothes for her!
John Bedini didn't use a bicycle wheel. You are thinking of the "schoolgirl motor" which is based on his design and definitely not over-unity. He wound his rotor using some kind of ball - I think something like a wooden boules ball. It sits in perspex box somewhere where it runs, supposedly charging a battery. But it's interesting, however you look at it.

Not sure how he manages 48hr days... :banghead:.

The same way I get more done an a 6 hour day than my Ex did and still does in a 16+. Properly planning and focusing on what actually needs doing. :p

Your little sister must be really, really little if you are making barbie clothes for her!
John Bedini didn't use a bicycle wheel. You are thinking of the "schoolgirl motor" which is based on his design and definitely not over-unity. He wound his rotor using some kind of ball - I think something like a wooden boules ball. It sits in perspex box somewhere where it runs, supposedly charging a battery. But it's interesting, however you look at it.
I knew mentioning Barbie was going to be a mistake!! Next time I need to think twice about writing something, I wont write it :D. I like star ship coils because they look cool, for some projects where an electromagnetic coil can seen, they are a nice touch. i have also heard two in series can get you to Pluto and back on a single AA battery :D.

I have noticed over the years as I have come to know and understand things in more detail and over wider range of subjects than most people ever will how both the mystery and fantastical wonder of such things becomes rather annoying at just how gullible someone has to be to ever believe in it in the first place.

And second, I have also found it interesting how somethings that do have plausible merit have it for totally different (and always far more simplistically rationally explainable) reasons than what they are given.

Rather weird how some people can so easily believe in the impossible yet will also fight so impossibly hard to not accept a rational explanation for some odd thing that actually does work but not in the way they want to believe it does. :confused:

We know what we know but we haven't a clue what we don't know. Before the discovery of electricity and magnetism no one had the slightest inclin the vast changes that these discoveries would bring about. We have now started dabbling with genetics with the discovery of crisper and gene drives (see TED talks on gene drives). Maybe in the future we will be able to create non sentient creatures that can be controlled by computer - a T rex sized life form controlled by a computer would be a very useful tool. Ant sized creatures could do micro surgery. The possibilities are staggering.

As for Dark Energy, I believe it was invented because observations didn't agree with our current formulae. Most physicists believe it doesn't exist and it's our formulae that are wrong. Same with dark matter.

Mike.

And when you get home, the battery is miraculously recharged!
Only if you use the special charger ;) and turn it anti clockwise :D.

Mike is right about Dark matter, but no one is thinking of the wider implications of this. Ok so it dosnt exist, thats fine with me. So instead we have our calculations wrong, I am also fine with that. BUT that then leaves an unanswered question............ Some things we said couldnt be done, the reason we decided that was because those calculations said so, so does that now mean what was impossible, might now actually be possible (in theory at least)?

I am not picking any one single topic, but if we invented dark matter to fill a knowledge gap, then its harder to keep using those formulae to say something cant be done. I read alot of scientific journals, it is mind blowing what research is being done. One thing is for sure, it will take us to untold levels, or eventually get rid of us once and for all.

LG is right - either there is Dark Matter and/or Dark Energy or we (Einstein originally) got the maths wrong! Or maybe mass just doesn't behave the way we think it should at the cosmological scale?

It is so exciting to be such a tiny spec in the massive universe! I love learning and something I was told years ago........

There is infinite wisdom to be found, the search will never end, but the journey is one of reward. I also love the fact that even our smartest minds, havnt scratched the surface yet. OU will always be ****, it dosnt stack up on any level. BUT some of the other things we consider not possible, will be one day.

I struggle with one in particular, long distance space travel. Logic tells me it isnt ever going to happen, but the Human in me likes to think that maybe one day...............

I wonder if Galileo when working out the distance to the moon, ever looked up and thought to himself....One day we might actually go stand on that.

The hydrogen bomb, we make big bangs splitting atoms. How big would the bang be if we split sub atomic particles? probably smaller, but then if the bang was smaller maybe that then becomes a better weapon?

Sorry for the ramble, its just some the rubbish that floats through my head on a daily basis :D. I do also have more serious thoughts! Like why do some people think I would put frilly curtains on my MAN shed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back