Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monolithic Intelligent Motor Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

em2006

I need a monolithic intelligent motor controller designed for low-cost 3-phase AC motor control system (variable speed).

The MC3PHAC (Motorola) is perfect for my applications, but is not available in my country, for buying.

Please, suggest a similary solution, a circuit wich does not require any software development.

Thanks for help!
Emil.

If you look on page 2 of the datasheet:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/03/MC3PHAC.pdf

You will see that all the IC that the MC3PHAC does is accept serial messages, PWM signals, and digital signals. It then takes them and outputs signals to gate drivers which drive the gates of the transistors in the inverter. What the IC is, is a specialized microcontroller. You won't be able to build a circuit to do that without software development (or it will be a very very very big circuit with many many many components- it would almost be like building a microcontroller on a PCB, except you are trying to build everything in hardware so that it does not need code which is even harder and bigger). All you need is to build a circuit with a microcontroller in it, and then just program it's pins to do the same things the pins on the IC does. Then you need to connect gate drivers and transistors to it.

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
Thank you for reply.
I looked datasheet before posting.
I looked, first, page 1 of the datasheet:
One of the unique aspects of this device is that although it is adaptable and configurable based on its environment, IT DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT.
This makes the MC3PHAC a perfect fit for customer applications requiring ac motor control but with limited or no software resources available.
What I looked for was a similar solution, using a similar circuit (a specialized microcontroller, of course), because I did not found MC3PHAC in my country.
Now,I have found exactly was I was lookig for, a friend from USA promised me some MC3PHAC IC's, plastic 28-pin DIP, for experiment.
The project is a three-phase induction motor inverter (motor 380V, not over 1kW).

My intention is to use TLP250 for IGBT drive, and BUP314 transistors. I think is cheaper and easier to find in my region, than using IPM solution.

Anybody can help me, with schematics, ideas or solutions?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back