Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 Phase Intelligent Power Modules as H-Bridge Configuration

v1.5

For some days I have been searching for some kind of compact, easy to use and well powered modules that can be drive BDC motor using H-bridge configuration which gate trigger signal from MCU will be Hin-Lin PWM for each half bridges. Since the nominal voltage of the power line will be approximately 100 Vdc 9 A, as soon as I know, published generic BDC motor driver chips can only support maximum of 72 Vdc with low power so cannot be usefull for me. Because of that, I have been looking for some kind of powerful compact device like intelligent power modules (IPM). Since many times, I had been used lots of IPMs at my designs and from today they are perfect for cost & space & BOM saving but IPMs are generally for 3 phase applications like BLDC motors. Today I have thought that what will happens if I use only 4 IGBT (H-bridge) of inside IPM and pull down other two IGBT's gate sources for like completely closed switch. So that way, I can use six-pack IGBT as a H-bridge. Since I don’t want to complicate the design and higher the PCB cost, I don’t want to use half bridge gate drivers with discrete IGBTs. There are really cheap (compared to use discreate components) IPM modules available on global markets so that would be great if I could use IPM for my application. For example Infineon IGCM20F60GA IPM. This IPM is just for example not that choosen one for my motor specifications. It integrated with gate driver , boostrap circuitry and some protection futures all in one package. This is extremly usefull when cost and BOM saving are in first goal.
What do you think about it? Can I use six pack IPM module as a H-bridge?
Thank you.

Neat looking device!

That has three completely independent half bridges, so you could use two sections for one H Bridge for a single DC motor as you suggest, or if you need to control several motors use the spare sections from each two devices as a third H bridge.

I've been experimenting with these Infinion modules

30A 600V rating, but they need three IR2110 or similar drivers to go with them.

I'd not seen the all-in-one types, they do look good for lower current stuff!

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back