Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

modify press-on-press-off circuit to higher current

Status
Not open for further replies.

ostr1969

I have this circuit for press-on-press-off. it is working with a resistor (and led) as R11=1500ohm.
1. How can i change the circuit if i replace the R11 from 1500ohm to 8 ohm?
2. the press-on-press-off works only in low frequency, how can i change the capacitor or other part to work on higher rate.(twice)
led.PNG

smaller c1. you can also make r8, r2 and r1 smaller but that might affect other things.

If you reduce R11 to 8 ohms, the current through Q2 will be 0.75A, so Q2 will need to be a transistor that can carry at least 1A (the 2N5551 has a maximum of 600mA).
You will then need to reduce Q2's base resistance consisting of R6, R8, and R9 to provide at least 50 mA to the base of Q2.

Alternately you could change Q2 to a logic-level type N-MOSFET (maximum Vgs threshold <=2V) with the gate connected directly to the collector of T2.

The 2N5551 is not suitable to drive 8 Ohms with 6V with this circuit and even if all the base drive R's were reduced it is still not suitable for any current > 100mA for heat and insufficient current gain reasons. However a bigger Logic level NFET could work.

However a much simpler design can be made from a D flip flop with clock RC pulse input and feedback from Qbar to D input. then driving a FET from either output.

if you need it for real application, a counter such as 4017 can do the job easily.
Alternatively you can use a relay to drive 8 ohms load.

if you need it for real application, a counter such as 4017 can do the job easily.
Alternatively you can use a relay to drive 8 ohms load.
A 4017 driving a Relay coil is almost like short circuit load then the back EMF will produce an unhealthy spike and latchup the chip like an SCR as it heats up.

A 4017 driving a Relay coil is almost like short circuit load then the back EMF will produce an unhealthy spike and latchup the chip like an SCR as it heats up.
of cause, it is not that 4017 alone will drive the relay. I only mentioned about its out put that can be utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back