Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Misc Electronic Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q1: low logic level on U6A output, that is high on their input as they are invertors.
Q2: less than 0.7V on the +15V rail.

Thanks for the info

Q1: low logic level on U6A output, that is high on their input as they are invertors.
Q2: less than 0.7V on the +15V rail.

What would cause the +15 rail to do low less than 0.7? is this transistor switch to detect a short?

U6A and U6B are connected in parallel so that the output current is 2x.
R331 converts the outputs of UG(a,b) to a current.
So, about (15-0.6)/330 Amps flows into the base. That's 0.043 Amps
Hfe for a 2n2222 is probably around a 100. I didn't look it up.
The datasheet https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/04/CD00003223-83285.pdf suggests 40. I'll still use 100. The end result is still mostly the same except the 4.3 A gets reduced by 40/100. A little over a factor of 2.

The 43 mA get's multiplied by about 100, so about 4.3 A CAN flow through the collector.
Ir's still way bigger than the transistor can handle, so the transistor will saturate and be fully turned on.

The transistor still cannot handle more than it's 600 mA rating, so the rating and the load limit Ic.

Remember Ib+Ic=Ie and Ic=β*Ib and Ie=(β+1)Ib; β=Hfe.

U6A and U6B are connected in parallel so that the output current is 2x.
R331 converts the outputs of UG(a,b) to a current.
So, about (15-0.6)/330 Amps flows into the base. That's 0.043 Amps
Hfe for a 2n2222 is probably around a 100. I didn't look it up.
The datasheet https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/04/CD00003223-83285.pdf suggests 40. I'll still use 100. The end result is still mostly the same except the 4.3 A gets reduced by 40/100. A little over a factor of 2.

The 43 mA get's multiplied by about 100, so about 4.3 A CAN flow through the collector.
Ir's still way bigger than the transistor can handle, so the transistor will saturate and be fully turned on.
Hfe is AC current gain. HFE is DC current gain.
HFE is used when there is plenty of collector to emitter voltage so the transistor is not saturated.
The base current is 1/10th the collector current for a saturated small transistor and hFE is not used.

@audioguru
I never knew that distinction before. Thanks. At least I used the DC current gain.

@the OP
There is a major debate on what a transistor is.does or whatever even on this forum. So let;s just say that whatever current that is fed into the base,it's multiplied. Because the base current is multiplied, the transistor can function as an amplifier.

When all you see connected to an NPN transistor is ground to the emitter, Load from the collector to V+ and a base resistor, it's is functioning as a switch especially if the voltage on the other side of the resistor has two distinct states, like 0 and 5 V.

I just took a peek at a small jfet 174 and a common NPN transistor, the 2n3904. The J174 maxes out at 50 mA and the 2n3906 at about 200 mA. The NPN is about 3 cents (leads) and the J174 is about 12 cents SMT. Leads packages are gone).

With very high currents, FETS have a huge advantage (Rds(on)), but they are sometimes tough to drive.

So cost and simplicity go for the transistors.

The J174 maxes out at 50 mA and the 2n3906 at about 200 mA.

So Transistors have more of a current output than a FET?

Need more current on the input to drive a FET, with a transistor u need low current on the base to turn it on , with a FET u need a lot of current to turn a FET on?

A transistor can amplify a DC voltage or it can switch a DC voltage.
A transistor can amplify an AC signal or it can switch an AC signal.

They cost less in some applications. About 4 times less in my example.

FETS are very efficient at switching very high currents.

the OP said:
So Transistors have more of a current type output than a FET?

Yes.

the OP said:
Need more current on the input to drive a FET, with a transistor u need low current on the base to turn it on , with a FET u need a lot of current to turn a FET on?

A FET needs a tiny current to turn it on. It uses voltage to effectively vary the resistance between to source and drain.

A FET uses NO current to turn it on. Its gate is insulated from its drain and source pins.
A Mosfet needs a fairly high momentary current on its gate to turn it on quickly and charge its fairly high gate-source capacitance. If it is turned on slowly then there is NO gate current.
A Mosfet can switch a current that is up to 5 times higher than a power transistor.

An ordinary transistor needs a base current that is 1/10th its collector current when it is a switch and the current is not too high.

My manager said that
FETS are for switching Low Current, low voltage
Transistors are for switching High current, High voltage

FETS have high impedance

FETS need to be discharged , because the gate has capacitance that needs to be discharged

Transistors collect to emitter has a Resistance that causes a voltage drop , where a FETS source to drain doesn't have a voltage drop or resistance

Yea right! See: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/04/99022.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/04/ga250sa6.pdf

These are 4500 A at 4500 V. They are not Biplolar Transistors, Nor FETS, but IGBT's.

The last three points I agree with. The first and the second points are dubious. Some truth in them though. Neither a bipolar transistor, nor a FET can switch 4500 V at 1200 Amps, but an IGBT can.

See, it depends on your definition of High current and High voltage, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back