Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

making pcb's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunderchild said:
where can I get pcbs made ?
is it worth getting my own equipment ?

Many different places.

That depends on you needs.

Do you need many different ones?
How often?
How complex of boards?
Can you generate the actual artwork to do your own?

Only you can really answer your question.

1. yes a pcb per project basically
2. don't know
3. normal stuff pic projects, and general analog stuff mostly single layer
4. I think so I presume there are programmes ? one of the cinese pcb companies had a program to download perhaps I could print off from that ?

Thunderchild said:
1. yes a pcb per project basically
2. don't know
3. normal stuff pic projects, and general analog stuff mostly single layer
4. I think so I presume there are programmes ? one of the cinese pcb companies had a program to download perhaps I could print off from that ?

3) Pic projects can sometimes result in pretty small traces. Can be a problem.

4) Most of this Software is Only good top the company that supplies it.

But home made is probably a lot cheaper for you. If you can do it.

I make all my own boards.

There are quite a few threads on making your own PCBs with links photos and more, if you don't mind using the search function. If you already have a laser printer, I'd suggest the 'Toner-Transfer' method. I've been making my own boards this way for the past couple of years with good results.

you may perhaps getit printed else where on a laser printer andremaining process you can do at your pemises.one or two boards and project and lab works, it is better done by you. and if a design goes for bulk production, you may order out. Chemelec has rightly suggested. and HarveyH42 has told the TTS methods.

If you don't have a laser printer, you can use a photocopier instead.

Samsung do cheap laser printers if you need one, but check that toner refill kits can be obtained as a proper replacement toner cartridge can be more expensive than the printer!

The current Samsung model is the Ml-2010 and costs about £43. A toner refill costs about £7 off ebay.

It is worth having a laser printer.

First check around for a HP Laserjet IV. Often then can be found for free if you know where to look. They are excellent printers. You can get the commonly needed repair parts.

So far I have done all my boards. If you want fine traces then the special transfer paper is the way to go. Search threads for Pulsar or PulsarPro. In the UK Press&Peel blue may be easier to find. I have no experience with it.

Thunderchild said:
hm I have inkjet

Perhaps , inkjet (color may be) is more of your daily need bing a photography expert. I saw some of your phtographs at the site. Really NICE

So may be few prints of PCB lay out be done on inkjet and then xeroed with dar print on the Glossy paper, and it might serve your needs.

well suppose I can get a laser they are not that expensive. so what else do I need ? what is pulsar ? I'll make a search

PiulsarProFx.com sells the starch based transfer paper. As I understand it there is no one in the UK distributing it at a reasonable price if at all. That may have changed shince I last checked.

Visit the pulsarProFx website for details on the process even if you do not use their paper.

I like to use a liminator rather then a clothes iron. They make the process easy. Pulsar has a hint of faking it if you do not want to buy a laminator.

I tend to like photoresist method. U can make fine PCB's at a low cost.
For the exposure u can use a "black light" tube (the blue-ish ones used in disco)...pref a cheap one (emits more UV).
U can use a Inkjet printer (just buy some inkjet film). About the special board u can buy them or make them with a photoresist spray.

Tarsil said:
I tend to like photoresist method. U can make fine PCB's at a low cost.
For the exposure u can use a "black light" tube (the blue-ish ones used in disco)...pref a cheap one (emits more UV).
U can use a Inkjet printer (just buy some inkjet film). About the special board u can buy them or make them with a photoresist spray.

Have you had any luck coating boards with the photoresist spray. I last tried it about 20 years ago and getting uniform results were very difficult.

Yes I had...but i sprayed 3 layers (dry-spray-dry ...) with the spray kept at the same distance so i could get a ~2inches line. The PCB came OK.
Since then i buy coated boards (like 2$..~8x4 inches):D .
Now i'm trying to get some polyvynilic alcohol, make my one coating solutions and use the "dipping" method.

I have recently been using the toner transfer method to make double sided boards...

I use injet transparency plastic... after printing, line it up and staple it on one side...

Then I slide the copper board inside and iron it...

I found that after ironing it, cooling it quickly seems to help in getting the toner to release of the plastic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back