Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make your own enclosures(case)for your projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
carbonzit, it's an English word.... This is what reference websites are for =)

It's English, but it sound like a UK-ism; I've never heard that word used in that context in American English. I thought the most direct way to find out would be to ask the person who used it.

I looked it up. It's too bad I had to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conduit#Trunking
It's extruded PVC like this: MTMIN4.JPG

Dunno where you are, but that looks like what's sold over here (US) under the brand name "Wiremold" for hiding wires and cables. Is that the same stuff?

It appears to be substantially similar. The smaller sizes are even made in decorator colors.

guys u better use my metal boxes **broken link removed** its so gud for almost all circuits except RF circuits, but the problem could be overcome if soldered a GND wire directly to the enclosure
**broken link removed**

It's English, but it sound like a UK-ism
Well I'm from the UK. We invented the language ..... so trunking it is!
And yup, it's the stuff shown in post #23 above. Just cut it to length and cut some extra bits for ends, which can be glued/screwed on. Alternatively, allow for the ends as a couple of 'ears' extending from the main channel of the box, then use a hot air gun to soften the plastic and bend the ears to form the ends of the channel (I can post pics on request).

Alec

A little variation from the totally homemade enclosure. I occasionally (for work) need odd sized aluminum utility boxes. This week it was for an 1KW RF marching network...RF generator to a vacuum chamber plasma target. Couldn't find exactly what I wanted until I ran across what used to be LMB...now HEEGER. 9"x11"x4" Not exactly cheap, but you can pick almost any three dimensions to fit your needs.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Just another option.

Ken

VERY expensive KMoffett, especially for the construction, nothing made there couldn't be done at home with sheet aluminum a drill/reciprocating saw and a small press (which aren't that expensive) for the bends.

As I said: "just another option". It was for work, and yes I could have spent my time making a similar size case. But, sometimes you have to weigh time vs money vs whatever. My customer seemed very happy with the results. ;)

Ken

now i am making an enclosure for an "all in one" bench test equipments! 1. A signal injector,2.lm317t based 0-12V Variable power supply,3.a 9 volt supply source to my multimeter (so i can forget buying batteries for my multimeter) 4.an 8v and 5v regulated supplies 5.a 12v AC source 6. A continuity tester!

Anything more do i need to add?

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned my current favorite enclosure: small tins, like the canonical Altoids tin. I've built lots of little pieces of test equipment and such (like transistor checkers) in them. Just the right size for a small circuit board, a 9-volt battery, and switches and connectors. Cheap, too.

Is your multimeter switched on permanently??

My multimeter (a cheap-ass Harbor Freight DMM) runs for months and months on its 9-volt battery. Don't know why yours doesn't, unless you're not actually turning yours off when not being used.

Last edited:
thanx for fixing my spell, i meant a 9v pp3 battery will not last very long in my multimeter! Maybe a week or 8 days!..
Does it have an "off" switch position? Are you using it? My Flukes have a timed-out sleep mode that looks like it's off, but if you don't switch them to "OFF" they continue to slowly drain the batteries.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back