Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Loud chicken needs training..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Folan

I know it's probably an odd one, but I want to make a device that will give a chicken a mild electric shock every time it gets too loud.

My current idea is to attach a small microphone to the chicken's neck and have it as part of a circuit which is connected to two diodes, both attached to the chicken. It would be powered by one of those little batteries in watches.

Unfortunately, I do not know enough about electronics to design this myself, or if it is even possible. So I would appreciate any help you guys can give me. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Don't chickens live in coops? Why would you want to do this?
I understand why dogs are trained not to bark but they are household pets; chickens are not.

I think it's a bad idea.

What if a predator such as a fox, wolf or cat attacks your chickens?

You'll never know because the poor little things would be too scared to make a noise.

A neighbour had a couple of his chickens killed by a fox. The noise woke my dad up and he went round there and woke my neighbour up. If the chickens didn't make any noise, the fox would have killed them all.

This idea is seriously SICK.

What kind of a weirdo are you?

Why do you have a chicken? To lay eggs for your breakfast?
Some happy chicken that will be, creates the basis for your breakfast and you give it electric shocks when it crows!
Sicko!

JimB

We have 4 chickens, both as pets and to lay eggs. We currently live in a residential area (although we hope to move somewhere more remote in a year or so). The device would only be for one chicken because only one have them has become overly loud.

The alternative is to kill it, because it can't go on making the amount of noise it currently is. The other 3 would still be able to make a noise if they were being attacked, which to be honest is unlikely because they're kept in a very secure area.

I would only want the device to go off when it's too loud, normal clucking etc is fine. Only cocks are supposed to crow, chickens have no reason to be as loud as this one generally is.

Last edited:
I think sound proofing the chicken coop is a better option.

The device would only be for one chicken because only one have them has become overly loud.

The alternative is to kill it, because it can't go on making the amount of noise it currently is.

Frankly, this is probably the more humane option, rather than subjecting it to "shock therapy".

Might look into why this chicken is being loud. It's not normal for them to draw attention to themselves. Maybe needs some alone time with a rooster, you do have a rooster, right?

Don't think shocking the bird would be safe or effective, since your device would need to be close to the skin, and don't think feathers conduct very well. Burn pretty good though. Little watch battery wouldn't last long either.

Get a rooster, which of course would be much louder, but the hens much happier, and better egg production. Could always hang a frying pan next to her coupe.

Where I live, backyard chickens are allowed but not roosters. The reason should be obvious. Chickens are stupid: Shocking it would only cause it to squawk again, and again and again. The result will be a recursive chicken shock loop. I vote for eating the noisy chicken.

Last edited:
Where I live, backyard chickens are allowed but not roosters. The reason should be obvious. Chickens are stupid: Shocking it would only cause it to squawk again, and again and again. The result will be a recursive chicken shock loop. I vote for eating the noisy chicken.

Now, I'll admit to not having much chicken experience, but have worked on a farm a few summers as a kid. The rooster is important for good egg production. All things have a need to breed, your hen probably has that need. They have wooden eggs you slip into the nest, the dumb chicken will usually think it's hers, and sit and tend to it...

This idea is seriously SICK.

What kind of a weirdo are you?

Why do you have a chicken? To lay eggs for your breakfast?
Some happy chicken that will be, creates the basis for your breakfast and you give it electric shocks when it crows!
Sicko!

JimB
On WKRP in Cincinatti, Herb Tarleck taught chickens to "dance" by using a hot plate...... when the plate made their cage floor hot enough, they started dancing in an attempt to keep their feet off the hot floor.

This idea is right up there.......

I seriously doubt you can train a chicken,but hey its worth a shot..I say to keep the device small,and water resistant just go to a pet smart and buy a barking dog collar..It will save you tons of time and they are pretty well built,does exactly what you want,and you can turn down the shock so it doesn't hurt the lil fella..If it works let us know...:)

On WKRP in Cincinatti, Herb Tarleck taught chickens to "dance" by using a hot plate...... when the plate made their cage floor hot enough, they started dancing in an attempt to keep their feet off the hot floor.

This idea is right up there.......
Now that is pretty sick and twisted.

Eat the noisy chicken and then replace it.

Or, add another chicken and then eat the noisiest in the coop. Show the cleaver to the rest as the noisy one is removed.

Rinse and repeat.

Sooner or later, the coop will be pretty quiet.

Failing that, go to the supermarket....

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back