Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for the forums help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo175

I desperately need the help of your forum. I have an annoying neighbor who insists on playing extremely loud music all hours of day and night that literally rattles my walls. All attempts at being reasonable have failed and even the police offer no solution except to take him to court, yet in the mean time the assault continues.

I am trying to find or build a device that will cause interference with any speaker system within a 50 foot radius. The goal is to cause enough static or other interference to make them turn it down. Has anyone ever seen or inadvertently created such a thing perhaps working on something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and may save the sanity of my family. I look forward to any and all suggestions.

Such a thing can be done with a high powered radio transmitter as it happens inadvertantly all the time to us radio hams. But you would need to severely pollute the radio waves, possibly for thousands of miles around you in order to make it work, so it would not be good for the community. In addition, one wonders about the effectiveness of simply distorting his music. Will it indeed cause him to turn it down? Perhaps, especially if the distortion is severe and makes it unlistenable. There is a strong chance that the outcome of such a thing might be for him to drop by and punch you in the nose.

Such a device is probably more against the law than playing music too loud. The FCC (or whatever is the regulatory body over there) would be at your door step and confinscate the device...and everything on and in the desk it's sitting on (and the desk).

Ear plugs maybe?

What kind of music is it?

I had an idea for a previous thread about gypsy music... maybe it might work for you. First, you will need a sound switch circuit (pretty common), that you can adjust the trigger level. A noise generating circuit, something that produces static and distortions (might not be needed if you do sloppy job building the amplifer...). Finally an amplifier to drive a PA speaker (yeah, you want crappy sound quality).
When your neighbor starts jamming the stereo past an acceptiable level, the PA will start putting out sounds like a torn speaker or blown amp. He should lower the volume, and your PA should shut down. Make sure it only comes on when the neighbor's is very loud, so he won't know the sound is coming from your property, or a car or something sets it off.

Fortunately, I don't have loud neighbors. During the winter months though, we get a lot of northerners (New York, Jersey, Canada...) who don't like the cold I guess. The police will only tell then to turn it down twice after 9 pm, then they go to jail.

My former neighbor has a friend who would come over, park in front of their house and talk to his buddies on his citizen's band radio. He surely had a linear amplifier on his rig, because I would usually receive his transmissions thru my home stereo receiver. Something like this would probably work in your case, as his SUV was parked 35-40 feet from my house.
RadioRon said:
There is a strong chance that the outcome of such a thing might be for him to drop by and punch you in the nose.
The o/p doesn't give his location (naturally!) but where I live, punching someone in the nose like that is something the police will definitely have a problem with.
dknguyen said:
The FCC (or whatever is the regulatory body over there) would be at your door step and confinscate the device ...
I'm sure we'd all like to believe that, but if he's here in the US and interfering with the neighbor's stereo it isn't costing the FCC money, chances are good that they won't bother with it. That may not hold true in other countries, though.
JB

Well I guess it depends on what you are interferring with. I was told a story about a guy who had a house near an airport and was getting into amateur radio. He built a radio which accidentally was transmitting on air traffic controller airwaves and they swooped down on him.

The music is loud really awful rap with the bass cranked way up. I would like to make any device I use some what stealthy so we does not know whats causing the interference. This guys is a really stupid unemployed stoner type and has been making life miserable for my family. This will be a little payback. The idea being just enough noise through his speakers to make it as unpleasant for him as it for us.

I'm not really concerned with the legality of the device, as I only need to interfere with speakers within 50 feet.

I really need an evil genius here!

Have you reported the problem to you local authority?

Failing that you should consider ear defenders, and if they aren't good enough noise cancelling headphones.

jambo175 said:
I'm not really concerned with the legality of the device, as I only need to interfere with speakers within 50 feet.

TO make a signal strong enough to make something non-functional within 50 feet requires enough power to interfere with devices much much farther away (like km)...that's the problem. There is no cut-off.

jambo175 said:
The music is loud really awful rap with the bass cranked way up. I would like to make any device I use some what stealthy so we does not know whats causing the interference. This guys is a really stupid unemployed stoner type and has been making life miserable for my family. This will be a little payback. The idea being just enough noise through his speakers to make it as unpleasant for him as it for us.

Seems like loud 'music' (rap doesn't really qualify..., put a 'C' in front of it) is the least of your worries. Where there is 'rap', you will usually find 'crack' (cocaine substitute). Not something you want around your children. Every time they throw their little 'crack' parties. You know, their deadbeat friends coming and going every 30-40 minutes, call the police and complain. They park in your driveway, call and complain (go out and write down the tag number, don't even try to be sneaky about it). Put up security cameras, or atleast a dummy camera. Don't hide them, let them know they are being watched. Paranoia is a real buzz killer for them. Their stoner friends won't be stopping by as often...

There is no magic circuit to disrupt the stereo, without messing up the whole neighborhood. Your best bet is law enforcement. Cameras are a good idea. if they or their friends see something they can trade for drugs (kid's bike), its gone. Yeah, they are just that stupid.

RadioRon said:
There is a strong chance that the outcome of such a thing might be for him to drop by and punch you in the nose.

mmm.a person like me will definetly do such thing.
u did't mention abt ur budget.bcz basically such big frequency things costs a lot.

that punching idea is pretty good or start reverse engineering imean play songs at high pitch when that guy is abt to sleep ;)

dknguyen said:
He built a radio which accidentally was transmitting on air traffic controller airwaves and they swooped down on him.
I can certainly understand the issue there. Lives are at stake. The FAA was probably the ones who made that call.

Jambo, hopefully your stoner neighbors aren't dealing drugs. However, if you suspect that they might be, I wouldn't hesitate to tell the police about your suspicions, especially if you have children in your house (or if they do). The police love kicking in some dirtbags door and hauling him/her off to jail to face drug charges. And they really frown upon dealing drugs around children.
JB

This guy needs educating! Try playing some Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Blondie, Bach, Sandy Denny or maybe Handel's 'Arrival of the Queen of Sheba' ( a rousing piece of music! ) loud hopefully may be a start! I heard on the radio (radio 2 uk) that some shops in New York are playing classical music to keep yobs out!:)

Evil genius idea?

jambo175 said:

I think I may have an inspiration here. A solution to a noisy car stereo blasting neighbor. After reading other horror stories and few solutions (come on folks... ear plugs.... for kids and/or toddlers? be real) the thought occurs to use one type of neighbor noise to combat the other.

Car Alarm.

Equip the car with an alarm and set the sensitivity to go off when the blaring bass hits a wall rattling levels. Car alarms can be set to shut off shortly after the offending trigger ends. If your're able to position the car in a way that the alarm would be sure to ruin any listening enjoyment they may be getting from their neighborhood shaking stereo, it just might work. When they turn down the noise, the alarm would time out and shut off.... until next time.

Of course this is not with out consicinces. You'd have to listen to the alarm too. But maybe only long enough for them to realize the connection and learn to turn it down. It might annoy other neighbors. But several of them are probably annoyed with this person too. I’m sure they would go along for at least a while once it was explained why the alarm was installed. Might be best to disable the alarm at certain times. Don't need them turning it in to a weapon against you in the middle of the night. It might give some anonymity too. You're not the bad guy calling the cops, leaving notes, not appreciating their obvious musical superiority, knocking on the door......

“My car makes noise when your car makes noise. Huh, don't that just beat all."

I joined the list just to share this idea. I’m off to shop car alarms now.

You will find that the car alarm will go off too often to be of any use like this. You'll need to add some circuitry to discriminate between a neighbor closing a car door, cat jumping on your car, Harley motorcylcle passing by. Otherwise, the alarm will be just as annoying as the stereo. The alarm would need to be considerably louder than the stereo, otherwise it would be drowned out. People who listen to "music" (RAP os short viresion of CRAP) that loud, usually aren't to concerned about quality or enjoyment. Almost all of those ******** driving those bass-shaker-mobiles I've seen at stoplights, are wearing earplugs.

Seriously, if you are in the United States, call the police. They will tell you what hours they can get away with disturbing your peace. Get some of the other neighbors involved. One neighbor calling in a complaint may not carry enough weight, but two or three, on the some night will end it quickly. If there are drugs involved, it won't take long for them to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back