Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for drawing software

bob1954

Could someone please point me in the general direction 0f a piece of drawing/layout software that includes parts such as fuse boxes, light switches and UK three pin sockets. I have volunteered to rewire a club house and would like to keep a record of my progress.
Thanks.

I know it's not the answer to the question you asked but, I would draw it by hand or in power point (using a lot of cut and paste of the switches and outlets). The next guy who would want to look at it may not find the software or same OS as you. Just my opinion.

As already said, make sure a non computer version is available. Use software by all means but print out the diagrams when complete.

Mike.

I just use EasyEDA (free PCB design package) and create symbols as I need them, for wiring diagrams. I find that a lot easier to use than any of the dedicated electrical diagram packages I've tried.

A friend wrote a how-to book years ago and he used PowerPoint wit photos of the specific outlet or fixture - but it really depends on what level of design you want to express to yourself and (or) the person pulling the wires.

Unfortunately, the gray ink used by the printer has turned black over the years - and the black wires cannot be seen well.

1704267718219.png

I believe the free TinyCad schematic software has an electrical symbol library available.

But rjenkinsgb 's idea is a good one too if you don't mine taking a little time to draw the symbols you need, which is pretty simple. EasyEDA is indeed easy to use with a short learning curve.

You can purchase Microsoft Visio Professional (2019) for £3.61 GBP from hrkgame.com, I purchased it 2 years ago and its great for circuit diagrams etc, they send you a licence key and you download the software.

Link for software: Microsoft Visio Professional 2019 HRK Game.

Regards
Pete
But will Windoze/Microsoft still be around in 30 years time when someone not yet born has to fix this?

Mike.
Edit,as I said, make sure a hard copy is available that doesn't rely on ANY software.

Last edited:
Well, when I provide diagrams, I print them off and bind them in the property folder which is then provided to the property owner, microsoft is irrelevant, in 30 years time the installation will probably have been altered and documentation invalid, the property owner may not be alive in 30 years and the paperwork lost, life is full of what it's, any one of us could be dead in 30 years so why worry.

My only worry is whether I get go to heaven or iif I get to spend eternity with all of my friends.
Well you won't get to heaven - it's actually underground beneath Maryland, only has capacity for 300,000 and has been completely full for centuries. Even the Popes all go to hell :D

Courtesy of nightmares and hallucinations while in a coma for 12 days in ICU :D

OOOOO, so many great titbits of advice in this thread! obviously now snipped out and stuck in one note, which I am printing off as I go :joyful:.

I have learnt so much already just reading what you pro's do. 99% of which i never even considered! Feel slightly guilty that most of it would of been gained via your own experiences and finding solutions to problems you have faced, so thank you to everyone!
Ive gained a lot without having to find out the hard way!:oops:

It is appreciated, and while few seem to even acknowledge or report back on wether or not the suggestions worked......
I think it matters that those of us soaked behind the ears with electronics, should acknowledge when something has been of benefit or not, so on behalf of us NOOBS, THANK YOU for sharing your wealth knowledge free of charge

Regards
Marty

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back