Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for device that help me split a n bit input bus, or n analog lines into two o

Status
Not open for further replies.

sghosh

SOLVED

I looking for device that help me split a n bit input bus, or n analog lines into two or more bus at output

Please consideration concept diagram below.

**broken link removed**

At input there is n bit input bus, or n analog lines

At control there is 2 bit control:

00: input signal not routed to output
01: input signal routed only to output 1
10: input signal routed only to output 2
11: input signal routed to both output

I cannot think of any ready made digital logic device I buy at counted do this, hence need some help to realize this using ready made digital logic device.

Ready to use relay or logic ICs, anything is OK as long as parts easily available.

If digital logic used, must be able to support signals till 1Mhz, 0 to +5Vpp, low (like 100mA) current good enough
If analog drive like relay used, must be able to support signals till 100Hz, -50 to +50Vpp, 10Amp current

Imporant to keep the size compact.

Last edited:
Hi there,

If you want to, you can even store the data from the input until you want to read it later. You would use two 8 bit latchs with tri state outputs. You would connect the 8 inputs together and use the enable pins as your select bits. Bit 0 would enable latch 1, and bit 1 would enable latch 2, so that with both bits both outputs would be enabled. This of course is not a single device but two packages, but the circuit board routing is probably easier as you can spread the packages out a little more than with a single chip. The only extra routing complexity is that you have to wire the input lines together so that input bit 0 connects to input bit 0 on both packages, and same with bits 1 through 7.

Take a look at devices 74LS373 and 74LS374 or similar. These are available in small outline package or standard DIP package.

Last edited:
I believe 2 AND gates would do it.

I thinking a lot about this suggestion but cannot come up with idea.

Can you scan a diagram so I can be peace - this is too much challenge for me using AND gates.

(BTW - I also see your projects in signal generate! Amazing - can I email you question on your projects?)

If you want to, you can even store the data from the input until you want to read it later. You would use two 8 bit latchs with tri state outputs. You would connect the 8 inputs together and use the enable pins as your select bits. Bit 0 would enable latch 1, and bit 1 would enable latch 2, so that with both bits both outputs would be enabled. This of course is not a single device but two packages, but the circuit board routing is probably easier as you can spread the packages out a little more than with a single chip. The only extra routing complexity is that you have to wire the input lines together so that input bit 0 connects to input bit 0 on both packages, and same with bits 1 through 7.

I want also route either 3v3 or 5v to a ADC ref volt. Can I use a NC-NO relay or use 4066 better?

Take a look at devices 74LS373 and 74LS374 or similar. These are available in small outline package or standard DIP package.

Thanking you both of you. Seem like good solution.

I do a little more reading and also finding 74HC4316, 74HC652, 74HC541, 74HC645 and 74HC245 - seems like good matching with my need.

I type above so later people not search or asking question again.

I thinking a lot about this suggestion but cannot come up with idea.

Can you scan a diagram so I can be peace - this is too much challenge for me using AND gates.

An AND gate can act as a digital switch. If one input is 0, the output will always be zero (gate turned off). If that input is 1, whatever is on the other input is passed through to the output.

So it is as simple as one input can act as a "gate control" that turns the gate o/off, then the other input is the "signal".

(BTW - I also see your projects in signal generate! Amazing - can I email you question on your projects?)

Thank you for the nice words. :)

But I prefer NOT to handle forum stuff by email, if you have questions please post here and I will try to help and you will have lots of other people helping who might give you better help than me!

Hi again,

Here is a drawing to illustrate MrRB's idea. You just have to make sure that whatever you use to drive the Enable lines with can handle the required number of gate loads (as drawn, 8 loads for 8 bits) unless you use a separate buffer.

Attachments

• Gates-01.gif
    Gates-01.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back