Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with bus dash project

Stefan22

Hello there.

I don't have much experience with electronics but I started this project with the bus dash. I have a 24V 10A power source and I have a button that I want to power on and off the cluster. I have some automotive relays that work good as you see in the video but when I connect the + pin to the output of the relay, instead of 24v I get 1V. As you can see it seems like it's charging up or something. When I disconnect the pin of the dash from the relay, the relay has 24V on that pin. Does anyone know why is this happening?

https://streamable.com/4n7pzt

Solution
Yes, those dirt cheap Chinese croc clip leads are rubbish - they just bend the wire over and 'crimp' the croc clip over it, so it's quite common to get one that doesn't work. Best solution is to 'uncrimp' them and solder the wire back on.

You can easily see which wire is faulty, just measure the voltage across each wire in turn - they should all be about zero volts, in your case the faulty one will read about 23V.
I'd guess that one of the clip leads in the setup has bad connections to the alligator clips.

(Its difficult to be sure of the connections from the video - draw a circuit?)

Yes, those dirt cheap Chinese croc clip leads are rubbish - they just bend the wire over and 'crimp' the croc clip over it, so it's quite common to get one that doesn't work. Best solution is to 'uncrimp' them and solder the wire back on.

You can easily see which wire is faulty, just measure the voltage across each wire in turn - they should all be about zero volts, in your case the faulty one will read about 23V.

Solution
You were right indeed. One of them sparked inside the clip cover a while ago but I saw that I still had about 24V when I checked the output of the relay and didn't blame the wires. I just connected it with normal wires and it worked. Thanks a lot again :)

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back