Long Interval Timer employs 555 chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

Those that have asked for a longer interval timer using the popular 555 chip, here's a circuit for you.

Attachments

• 555 timer.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,234
Excuse me Mr Candy-Stripe, but the attached circuit has adjustable on/off times.
There is no mention, and as far as I can see no provision for long delays.

JimB

Mr. Candy Stripe? The text states that the design allows for "very long on times". The complete article can be found at Silicon Chip website. Go argue your point with the author there.

Are we talking hours with it?? I can use that to charge my cheap drill batteries. Doing it with a Atmel 1200A now. hehe

I think the "very long on time" is relative to the off time, i.e., extreme duty cycles are possible. There is nothing in the circuit that would extend the timing cycle beyond that of the "standard" circuit.

The advantage I see is that you can have 50% duty cycle which is not possible with the standard circuit.

I did come across this circuit that uses a 556 (dual timer) .... from the same family, but technically not a 555. Still might be useful for anyone who needs long intervals.

Attachments

• timer.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 975
Hitech (nice picture)

I will stick with my Atmel 1200A version. One chip, internal clock and a dip switch. Just thought 2 x 555 I would free up that microcontroller for something else.

But a good find for future long delay timers for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…