Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Long Interval Timer employs 555 chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

Those that have asked for a longer interval timer using the popular 555 chip, here's a circuit for you.

Attachments

• 555 timer.JPG
    555 timer.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,231
Excuse me Mr Candy-Stripe, but the attached circuit has adjustable on/off times.
There is no mention, and as far as I can see no provision for long delays.

JimB

Mr. Candy Stripe? The text states that the design allows for "very long on times". The complete article can be found at Silicon Chip website. Go argue your point with the author there.

Are we talking hours with it?? I can use that to charge my cheap drill batteries. Doing it with a Atmel 1200A now. hehe

I think the "very long on time" is relative to the off time, i.e., extreme duty cycles are possible. There is nothing in the circuit that would extend the timing cycle beyond that of the "standard" circuit.

mramos1 said:
Are we talking hours with it?? I can use that to charge my cheap drill batteries. Doing it with a Atmel 1200A now. hehe
No not hours!

I did come across this circuit that uses a 556 (dual timer) .... from the same family, but technically not a 555. Still might be useful for anyone who needs long intervals.

Attachments

• timer.JPG
    timer.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 969
Thats better old Bean.

JimB

Hitech (nice picture)

I will stick with my Atmel 1200A version. One chip, internal clock and a dip switch. Just thought 2 x 555 I would free up that microcontroller for something else.

But a good find for future long delay timers for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back